I have some debris in pool

Feb 15, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
We have a new house and are just getting started learning how to maintain the pool. Despite a retractable pool cover, some debris is getting in the pool. I am looking for a simple solution to vacuuming the bottom. Is a pole-mounted vacuum attached to the filter inlet by a hose sufficient? We have a small, shallow 10,000 gallon pool. If so, what hose and vacuums are recommended? Or should I go with a robotic vacuum? I don't mind vacuuming by hand, but I wouldn't be opposed to using a robot either. I would prefer a vacuum that works off of the filter since we have two little kids and I don't like the idea of having extension cords near the pool while this really cool robot moves around. That would definitely have the kids itching to play with the robot, and the power cord could easily get messed with.

Two other beginner questions:

1. How does the typical vacuum collect leaves and lawn clippings? I doesn't send it all the way through to the filter, right? There must be a mesh bag to to collect larger objects like leaves. Once you attach the vacuum hose to the inlet, it bypasses the skimmer basket so it seems like larger debris would be sent straight to the filter.
2. Should I be able to feel water being pulled into the main drains in the pool floor or the side wall returns? When I touch them or put my feet on the main drain covers I don't feel a thing. Should I feel water flow?

Elgrecus said:
Is a pole-mounted vacuum attached to the filter inlet by a hose sufficient? We
Yes, that is all I use (my pool is 11000 gallon agp with a deep end). Many people find it easier and enjoyable to do the vacuuming while in the pool...though I usually don't.

Elgrecus said:
1. How does the typical vacuum collect leaves and lawn clippings? I doesn't send it all the way through to the filter, right? There must be a mesh bag to to collect larger objects like leaves. Once you attach the vacuum hose to the inlet, it bypasses the skimmer basket so it seems like larger debris would be sent straight to the filter.
My skimmer vac plate goes over the skimmer basket, so much of the stuff gets caught there. The next place leaves and stuff get caught is in the pump basket. Finally the rest gets caught in the filter. If you have a lot of leaves, you may want to vacuum to waste to bypass the filter and get the stuff out of your pool...but you can go through a lot of water doing this.

Elgrecus said:
2. Should I be able to feel water being pulled into the main drains in the pool floor or the side wall returns? When I touch them or put my feet on the main drain covers I don't feel a thing. Should I feel water flow?
I assume when you said "wall returns" you mean skimmer? The term "returns" typically refers the output side of the system coming back to the pool (the return jets). As for the skimmer(s) and the floor drain, it is hard to feel the water flow there, but you know its working if you can feel strong flow coming back to the pool at your pool returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.