Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dry acid?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dry acid?

Among a bunch of old pool junk that came with my house is a plastic garbage can full of a white powder and a coffee can. I have no idea what it is, or how old it is. The previous owner used a pool service, so it may date back to the owner before that, but it seems to be intact as far as mysterious white powders go

I thought it might be chlorine, but it either didn't register or immediately bleached out on my test kit (Taylor 2006). It doesn't react with vinegar, so it's not baking soda-like. Adding it to a pH test turns it yellow, so I was thinking it might be a powdered form of acid. My pool does seem to have a continuous acid demand of ~1qt per 7-10 days, so maybe the previous owner used a powdered product to manage that. I want to dispose of it safely or use it up to get rid of it, but either way I need to identify it first. Any ideas?
    20Kgal, IG plaster, 320ft^2 cartridge filter, 1HP single speed pump, installed 1962

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dry acid?

It's probably diatomaceous earth. The coffee can sorta gives it away.

Dry acid will be granular, like table salt. DE is more of a dust. It doesn't go bad, but you really have no use for it with a cartridge filter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Dry acid?

That makes a lot of sense. I know the filter was replaced shortly before I bought the house, so probably the old one was a DE filter. Thanks a lot!
    20Kgal, IG plaster, 320ft^2 cartridge filter, 1HP single speed pump, installed 1962