Jun 8, 2013
Pool size: 4000 gallons (15'x42")
Filter Type: Cartridge
AG, SWCG Vinyl summer escape pool
Pump is 700 GPH.

FC: 3
pH: 8.5
TA: 240

I've just recently switched over to a SWCG, my pool is cloudy and I haven't been able to get it back to clear. I realize my pH and TA is high, my question is how much pH down would I need to put in my pool? Per the bottle it's telling me 24 oz for a 10 gallon pool but my pool doesn't contain that much water. I have shocked it today and it cleared some but not all the way. Any help would be apperciated. Thanks! :oops:

Your pH test of 8.5 is unreliable. You should get a decent kit based on drops of phenol red. They only go to 8.2.

You might put in a pint at a time and walk it down slowly. Hard to guess when the initial test is most likely bogus.

After you get a reliable pH number and get it adjusted, you will need to follow the shock process (link in my signature). For that, you will need to know your CYA number. You should get a good test kit, either the TF-100 or K-2006, both of which I believe can be found in my signature.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What are you using to test with? Most pH tests go up to 8.2. If you want to take control of managing your pool, you need a good Test Kit

r0manticizem3 said:
I have shocked it today and it cleared some but not all the way
Shocking a pool is a process, not a 1-time addition of a product. Since the pool cleared up some, but not all the way, that is an indication of something organic in your pool. You need to follow the Shock Process, To do that properly, you need to know your CYA level and this goes back to the importance of getting the proper test kit. Otherwise, your flying blind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.