Cloudy water with SWGC.

Pool size: 4000 gallons (15'x42")
    Filter Type: Cartridge
    AG, SWCG Vinyl summer escape pool
    Pump is 700 GPH.

FC: 3
    pH: 8.5
    TA: 240

I've just recently switched over to a SWCG, my pool is cloudy and I haven't been able to get it back to clear. I realize my pH and TA is high, my question is how much pH down would I need to put in my pool? Per the bottle it's telling me 24 oz for a 10 gallon pool but my pool doesn't contain that much water. I have shocked it today and it cleared some but not all the way. Any help would be apperciated. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Cloudy water with SWGC.

Your pH test of 8.5 is unreliable. You should get a decent kit based on drops of phenol red. They only go to 8.2.

You might put in a pint at a time and walk it down slowly. Hard to guess when the initial test is most likely bogus.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Howell, NJ

After you get a reliable pH number and get it adjusted, you will need to follow the shock process (link in my signature). For that, you will need to know your CYA number. You should get a good test kit, either the TF-100 or K-2006, both of which I believe can be found in my signature.
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thanks I will do that and get back with my numbers.

5. Back To Top    #5
    DFW, Texas

Welcome to TFP!

What are you using to test with? Most pH tests go up to 8.2. If you want to take control of managing your pool, you need a good Test Kit

Quote Originally Posted by r0manticizem3
    I have shocked it today and it cleared some but not all the way
    Shocking a pool is a process, not a 1-time addition of a product. Since the pool cleared up some, but not all the way, that is an indication of something organic in your pool. You need to follow the Shock Process, To do that properly, you need to know your CYA level and this goes back to the importance of getting the proper test kit. Otherwise, your flying blind.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.