Opening pool, cloudy water not going away

mandielucas

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
I opened the pool with cloudy, thick- looking water approximately 2weeks ago. I added bleach, obviously not enough and muriatic acid. All of the initial readings were at ok levels. When I found TFP, I tested for cya which was zero. I added the cya and continued shocking. From reading the pool school, I felt I was not shocking enough, so increased it. Now, I'm 20 bottles of bleach (7% available) since CYA reading and there has been only a slight Improvement. I started shocking when CYA was at 40. I do not have true FC reading yet and am waiting on test to come in mail.
There is no visible algae, pool light was clean but left it open
Fine dirt on steps and along seams of liner
I am concerned that I may have added too much bleach. I thought it was getting a little clearer but that has stopped. Since I don't yet have a way to test for true free chlorine, should I continue adding chlorine until water is clear?
Pool is kidney shaped in ground
Vinyl liner
30 feet length
18 feet widest
4 feet at shallowest and 8 feet deepest
No drain
2returns( 1is a waterfall)
Sand filter
1hp pentair super flow pump
Pool is enclosed with uv roof

New CYA test says 90
Ph: 8.4
TA:180
TH: 100
FC-above 20
TC-10 or above
Filter has not needed back washing according to PSI but have done it twice just the same. Filter is 2years old.

Thank you! I thought needed to ignore those numbers because of the shock process. I have your FAS test coming. I thought Leslie's was selling the right kit but they weren't. It was missing the FAS portion.

I have my test kit. CYA 65, TA 180, FC 34, CC O PH 7.5 TH 100.
FC dropped overnight to 28, water temp is 85 and outside temp is 93, South Louisiana
Water is cloudy, have been brushing entire pool a couple of times a day.
Am I doing something wrong?

The pool maintained a FC of 32 overnight, CC 0, all other readings the same so far.
I am confused as to the follow-up. Brush once a day, test twice a day, but do you let the FC fall to the swimming level or do you maintain the high reading until the pool is clear? I might be answering my own question. Keep the level high until water is clear? I have a sand filter. I guess I need reassurance. Thanks in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What he said^^^^ and:

Assuming that your pressure gauge is working, at what point are you backwashing? If it isn't returning to 0 when you shut the pump off, replace it ASAP.

Since your reported numbers are looking ok, and you are just trying to clear the cloud, look in Pool School for adding DE to sand filter. Be aware that if you do this, you will be backwashing more frequently, and will need to replentish the DE at every backwash.

I thought shock level was 28 so because it was slightly higher I let it stay. Should I let it fall to 24 (which it will probably do over this very hot day) and the keep it there? My pressure gauge does fall to zero when it is turned off. It maintains pressure between 12k and 15k, but I back washed yesterday afternoon anyway. I back washed for 2+ minutes, then rinsed for similar amount of time then returned to filter.

The overnight reading stayed at the same number for two nights, it has now dropped two nights in a row. I am keeping the reading at 24, checking every two hours throughout day. Water is still cloudy but looks better. Brushing twice a day. Help?!

Is there a reason for the FC drop overnight after staying steady for two nights?

Kidney shaped pool, approximately 20k, viny
1HP Pentair pump
Sand Filter, no drain, one return next to skimmer, one return as waterfall

Boy, I hate to be a pest but I 'm still in cloudy water. I am keeping the FC at 24, my CYA has dropped to 35. We have a copper ionizer attached but after reading about them here, I turned it off. Would it contribute to the continuing problem of cloudy water. I just ran out of the free chlorine test and new bottle should be here today. So I cannot report last night loss.
PH was a little high 8.2, so I am lowering it on meantime.
Any help while waiting on the new titrate?

Your cloudy water will take time to clear. Pool Owner Patience!

You pool has just been through one heck of a battle, and need a little bit of TLC and POP. You are now in the "mop-up" phase.

If you have the cheap OTO kit, do a dilution of 1/2 pool water and 1/2 tap water to test for higher TC levels. If that isn't diluted enough, dilute twice and test. You will lose accuracy with the dilution, but will still give "ball-park" figures.

Keep your FC high, until your pool is clear. You don't want to give any possibly still living algae even the slightest chance of coming back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.