Great site and great information/support.
So my in laws (who are also the next door neighbors) put in their/our first pool 18 months ago (Above ground, 11,000 gallons). They have been fighting an algae problem since last fall (not much was down over the winter).
I have finally convinced them to stop going to the pool store and use the BBB method to battle the algae and maintain the pool. As it stands the pool is a nice Mountain Dew color and the FC level is still dropping overnight (28 to 14 last night--CC 2).
Unfortunately, because of the all of the pucks and shock they dumped into the pool, the CYA level is now 90-120 (depending on who's numbers you use).
My question is should I do a water change out (60% per the calculator) to lower the CYA level now or wait until I get the algae under control and then do the water change out?
My temptation is to change out the water now to save on the truck loads of bleach required, but I am also concerned about introducing a new variable into the equation.
Any advice would be appreciated.
The only comment I would make is that I am in Central Texas and the pool is in full sunlight. I had seen some info on the internet that pools under those conditions should have a higher CYA level to protect the FC levels.