Algaecide first or Metals Out

Hi all..... many issues with my pool last year, most of all I was unable to take care of it properly. That said I drained it as low as I could last winter, put in the required chems and closed it.

Opened it last weekend, it's green - no surprise. Took a week to fill it with well water that I know is full of metals, mostly iron.

I don't have my filter cartridges yet, but they should be here in a day or so.

Because of the green color, I know there's algae. My question is, should I add some algaecide now, or wait until I get the filter cartridges and then put in the metal out, wait the four days and then clorox it?

I don't want the algae to continue to grow, as the pool is in direct sunlight all day long.

I do have the TBF TF-100 kit, but I haven't taken any measurements because other than well water, I haven't added anything.

Best suggestion?

Okay...
Chlorine 0
ph 8.2 plus ....it was as dark as the darkest mark
Br 0
TA 70
Calc Hardness 90
CYA 0

My filters arrived today and I'm running them on high now and will clean and restart every couple hours.
I have not added anything....I wanted the experts advice first.

Are you wanting to perform an AA treatment for stains? If you are then I'd get the algaecide in there first. If you're not I'd add the sequestrant and skip the algaecide and chlorinate normally. But the first thing I'd do is get the pH down to about 7.2.

The water is green like a swamp and at this point, I really don't know what to do. I'm almost thinking I need to get the chlorine started to kill all the algae that's growing...the water is not green and clear, but green and has lots of things floating in it.....really disgusting.

First thing is get the pH down to 7.2, this will make the chlorine more effective and you will not be able to accurately measure the pH when the FC level is above 10 ppm.

Add enough CYA to raise the level to 30 ppm. Put it in a sock and suspend it over a return and give it a squeeze every now and then. Do not pour it in a skimmer as it will be lost when you clean your cartridges.

Follow the shock process in Pool School, pool-school/shocking_your_pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.