Totally screwed up..with brand new pool.

Jun 5, 2013
Michigan
So...

We just installed a new 24 round, 54 high, AG pool. Less than 5 days since the water was put in and the chemicals are already screwed up. Initially, the water test showed TH-1000, TC-0, FC-0, ph-low, TA-0, CA-0. I was going to use the BBB method and made the mistake of going to the pool place. Long story short, I put in 2 bags of shock and about a pound of stabilizer after I raised the alkalinity. The water is now testing as follows based on using AquaCheck test strips until the real test kit arrives.

Total Hardness -250 (ok)
Total Chlorine - 10 (high)
Free Chlorine - 10 (high)
pH - btw 7.2 - 7.8 (ok)
Total Alkalinity, 120 (ok)
CA - 30-50 (ok)

The pool is very clear, with some debris on the bottom (lovely cottonwood tree's). I have not vacuumed yet. I did a second check using half a glass of tap water, filled the remaining with pool water, swooshed it around and re-tested. It came back with half the initial value, and I multiplied that x2. Same result of TC and FC, both high.

My question is:

With the weather for the last 4 days of no sun, and the predicted weather of no sun for the next week, can I just monitor the water without emptying at least a third of the pool out? I know using the pool, along with lots of sun, that the chlorine burns off. I'm hoping that when it warms up, I can back wash and then refill with fresh water (we have a well). We are NOT using the pool because the temp is too cold (62 degrees). The heater won't be installed for at least 10 days, and I would really really hate to empty out this pool. I have been running the pump about 4 hours a day so far.

After I get this straightened out, I will definitely use the BBB method. I just didn't feel confident enough to start. Any suggestions???

Any suggestions???
Check out the FC/CYA relationship chart in Pool School and you will find there is no reason to drain any of your pool. You'll be fine.

Next, read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry". That'll give you normal ranges and, when you can test accurately, you will likley find you are not very far off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.