Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why do I need a separate Control Center

1. Back To Top    #1

Why do I need a separate Control Center

Hey, everyone! I think this is my first post here at TFP, but I've been lurking for quite some time, even before I registered.

I'm not a pool rookie, but I'm a pool automation rookie. I have a 10K gal AGP.

What I want to do is add a Jandy 125K heater this year, SWG NEXT YEAR, and automation this year.

For the automation, it appears that this is what I need:
    1. Jandy RS-P4 AquaLink RS OneTouch
    2. Jandy 6613AP PureLink Standard Power Center
    3. Jandy 6891 AquaLink RS All Button wired panel

Here's my question:
    Why in the heck do I need #3? Aren't the controls on #1? I feel like I'm being forced to buy a $350 part that I don't want. My pool is convenient. I don't mind walking to the OneTouch to change settings/turn things on/off.

None of the pictures of the RS-P4 online are great, so it is difficult to read what is actually done there.

Do I really need the wired panel?

Larry
    10k Johnny Weissmuller AGP, Waterway 2HP 2-speed pump & sand filter
    On order/me attempting install: Jandy LRZ125EN heater, Jandy sub panel, Jandy RS-P4 OneTouch, iAqualink

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why do I need a separate Control Center

Do you have an iPhone or Android phone? If so I recommend the iAqualink. I got this for my AGP and love it! See me signature for some details. They are also discounting this as a kit, and it can be found online for about $600 for everything you need for a single heater system.

Dino
    Premier (Esther Williams) 24' x 52" Round AGP (13,500 gl.), Hayward 24" Pro-Series S244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, AquaRite SWG, AquaComfort ACT-1100 Heat Pump, Jandy/Zodiac iAqualink Automation System with iPhone App, Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40
    My New Pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Getting a wired panel is nice, wireless connections occasionally have problems, but is not required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just saw you want to add a SWG. If that's the case, you'll need a Purelink Power Center like you said. I still think the iAqualink is the way to go and fully supports this.

As far as your question on needing All Button panel, the answer is you don't need it. The One Touch is basically a fancier version, and you only need one control panel. Again, if you go iAqualink then you can skip the Jandy controllers all together.

Good luck.
    Premier (Esther Williams) 24' x 52" Round AGP (13,500 gl.), Hayward 24" Pro-Series S244T Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, AquaRite SWG, AquaComfort ACT-1100 Heat Pump, Jandy/Zodiac iAqualink Automation System with iPhone App, Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40
    My New Pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, I have Android, and love it! (I can control my indoor thermostat with it!)

In the time that I posed the question earlier, I discovered the iAqualink. It appears I may not need the separate wired wall-mount controller, correct? I assume I still need the PureLink Power Center? This is all very confusing!

Once I figure out what equipment I need to purchase, I am confident that I can install it myself; the hard part is choosing.

Larry
    On order/me attempting install: Jandy LRZ125EN heater, Jandy sub panel, Jandy RS-P4 OneTouch, iAqualink

6. Back To Top    #6

That's right, you don't need a separate wall mount controller (I don't have one).
    My New Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

So.....If I understand everyone's replies correctly, I really don't need #3. What I need for heater/pump and (future) SWG, I need:

OR

3. Jandy iAquaLink Kit (http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Jandy-IQ ... /IQ900.htm)

In other words, only 1 and 2 are required, and #3 is a good option.

Am I correct? Thanks for the help!

Larry

8. Back To Top    #8

You guys respond so quickly, that my questions are outdated! Thank you!

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks like you would need:

1) Standard Purelink Power Center, 6613AP

2) Zodiac AquaLink RS iAquaLink Interface Kit and PCB Board, IQ900-RS

And when you are ready for an SWG, you'll need either an AquaPure PLC700 or PLC1400

Dino
    My New Pool

10. Back To Top    #10

I personally don't see the need for a hard wired controller. All the smarts and memory for controlling the pool are stored in the PCB in the PowerCenter. So there is no chance that an intermittent wireless connection would prevent the pump for coming on at the right time of day, or the heater not firing up properly.
    My New Pool