Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Andrea got to my liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Andrea got to my liner

After changing over to salt this spring and getting the pool in tip top condition - here comes Andrea 5+ inches of rain in a day and groundwater behind my liner.

I've got the pool company stopping out to see what can be done. Yesterday - I had bulging sides - today the liner has been completely pulled out of the rail leaving a gap in one spot that's wide enough to see the water.

Looks like I'm off to see what the local Walmart, Home Depot or Tractor supply has in the way of utility pumps - or see what I can accomplish with the wet/dry vac....

I haven't even taken a swim yet this year. Starting to think that 30 yards of fill is what I need.... lol.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Andrea got to my liner

Wow, what a shame. I'm so sorry this happened to you. Keep us updated on the repair process.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

3. Back To Top    #3

Don't fix it up too good until after the claims adjuster has a look and gets his pictures!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Don't fix it up too good until after the claims adjuster has a look and gets his pictures!

LOL! I had the same thought but I doubt it's gonna cost more than my homeowner deductible. Just bought a little drill pump. I'm hoping to drop a hose in there and pull most of the water out. Only the sides are affected - the bottom is still solid. I doubt it's more then 30 - 50 gallons total.

Heck of a way to find out that my pool's got a galvanized frame under the liner.

Already spoke to the pool company, and they're pretty sure they can get it back in shape pretty easily. Hope I can stay home to see how they do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Those little drill pumps probably won't do it, you're better off with a transfer pump like a Rigid TP-500K
    26,000 gallon gunite IGP with 50 sq ft Spa, Jandy VS FloPro 2hp Pump, Jandy DEV48 Filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG, Jandy AquaLink PDA-PS6 Controller, RayPak R406A Heater, Polaris 380 Cleaner, completed April 2013

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunky
    Those little drill pumps probably won't do it, you're better off with a transfer pump like a Rigid TP-500K
    Yup. The drill pump was pretty lame, but it got the process going and after about 10 minutes, I shut down the drill. The outlet hose was low enough that I got a good siphon going. After 5 or 6 hours, most all the water is gone, but I've got a few tight wrinkles.

I'm still gonna have the pool company stop out this week to reset the liner into the rail, and see if they can smooth it out a little. Otherwise - I can live with a couple wrinkles for this season.

After looking around the pool - I'm thinking the water problem was the result of the concrete spacers. They've deteriorated some and don't look like they're creating a seal. The worst bulges were right next to the spacers and no water ever came up under the floor of the pool. Next project......

7. Back To Top    #7

If you are a Walking Dead fan, you'd know that Andrea always had a knack for sticking her nose where it didn't belong! Glad you got it mostly sorted out!
    17x34' 13400gal freeform gunite IG pool, DB Tahoe Blue, cartridge filter, Rainbow 320, ClearO3 ozonator, 1.5HP 2sp Whisperflow, Intellibrite 5G Color LED, pavers, screened enclosure, Liquidator, 6x Fafco SunSavers, SolarTouch