Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    I have had a problem this year maintaining any type of FC levels in my pool. I have shocked and overshocked my pool in the evening and by morning my FC levels are at 0. I also run the filter 24 hrs with 3 in tabs in the skimmer and still there is no FC readings. I have been using quite a bit of shock and tabs to no avail. I have not had an algae problem at all. The water has been cloudy at times but a flocculant has taken care of that. I have been to my local pool store and had my water tested and was told my nitrates are high. The have me shocking my pool quite a bit over the next few days with calcium hypo-chlorate. The have said this will destroy the nitrates. I have read on line that the only way to get rid of nitrates is to drain and re-fill. Also if the nitrates were high wouldn't I have an algae problem? I have an 27 foot above ground pool with a capacity of around 1,500 gallons my other important readings are;
    FC- 0
    PH- 7.4
    ALK- 100
    CYA- 50
    Hardness- 200
    I use a Taylor test kit for all my testing. my Total Chlorine and Combined Chlorine are also at 0.
    Could nitrates be the cause of the chlorine demand, and if so how are they removed from the pool?
    If nitrates are not my problem, What else is there? Any advice would be appreciated

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Smykowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)
    Posts
    3,065

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Welcome to the forum!

    Nitrates are nonsense. Most of us here have no idea what our nitrate levels are.

    Your FC is not holding because you likely have something in your pool that is consuming it. That is, the FC is going away because it's doing its job. Shocking the pool will fix the problem, but you need to follow our shock PROCESS, not just put bag after bag of product with the word "shock" on the label. You also need to stop using dry chlorine. Your CYA is fine where it is, but cal-hypo will drive your CH numbers through the roof. Switch to liquid.

    What are your CC levels?

    I'd spend some time reading pool school, then get to work on the shock process.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Combined chlorine is also unreadable. There is no smell of chlormaines.
    Where is the shock process mentioned above, thanks

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Hey Jet, Welcome to TFP. Could you please clarify your pool volume. I'm thinking 1500 gal was a typo and you are missing a digit. At 27 ft wide, you are far over 1500. Also, does your kit test total Chlorine as well? Either way you have something consuming your FC and you should shock according to the info in the Pool School. As stated it's a process and not an event.

    Edit: Sorry, looks like we were posting at the same time. What do you mean the CC is unreadable? You have no indication of any?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Where is the shock process mentioned above, thanks
    Pool School, white button top right of each page.

    Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Sorry about the typo but my pool volumne is 18.500 gals. My test kit does test for combined chlorine. The first test is for Free Chlorine, then for Total Chlorine
    TC-FC=CC , 0-0=0. After I shock the pool I will get a high reading on the test kit but in the mroning when I test for FC TC and CC I have less than what I can read on my test kit. So I'm losing all a lot more tham 1ppm overnight.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Follow the advice of the responders above. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    You might have ammonia. Check this thread and also try the search box for ammonia for more.

    Bottom line: it'll take a whole lotta chlorine. And a proper test kit that actually measures CC, not just calculates it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    I will follow your shock procedure for the next couple of days and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the good advice

  10. Back To Top    #10

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by jetmecha320
    I will follow your shock procedure for the next couple of days and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the good advice
    It may take a little longer than that but, if you are committed, it will work. If you are not committed, it probably won't.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by jetmecha320
    Sorry about the typo but my pool volumne is 18.500 gals. My test kit does test for combined chlorine. The first test is for Free Chlorine, then for Total Chlorine
    TC-FC=CC , 0-0=0. After I shock the pool I will get a high reading on the test kit but in the mroning when I test for FC TC and CC I have less than what I can read on my test kit. So I'm losing all a lot more tham 1ppm overnight.

    No need to be sorry. I knew it was a typo/mistake. No worries...just get the FC up to shock level and KEEP it there. As Dave said, stay persistant and you will overcome. Two days will be the start, and perhaps it will take many, many, more. I suspect it will be several at best.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Shocked the pool last night and took a reading of my chlorine levels this morning. To my surprise I had a reading of FC of 2.0. it was quite a drop from last night but it is the first time in a week that I was able to obtain a reading in the morning.

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    10,045

    Re: Excessive Chlorine Consumption

    Quote Originally Posted by jetmecha320
    Shocked the pool last night and took a reading of my chlorine levels this morning. To my surprise I had a reading of FC of 2.0. it was quite a drop from last night but it is the first time in a week that I was able to obtain a reading in the morning.
    You have burned thru whatever it was (ammonia prob) and are now on further down the road to recovery!

    Continue to follow the shock process as outlined in Pool School and let us know how it is going.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

    ~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •