Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt water tests for the SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt water tests for the SWG

Hi there, I have been reading about the strips, the drop tests and the electric systems. What salt level tests do you guys use and what has worked out best for you. I dont mind the cost as long as its acurate and easy to use. Thanks a ton
    Intex 22 x 52 Ultra, Intex 16" Sand/Saltwater combo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt water tests for the SWG

I think the strips are inaccurate. I use the Taylor K-1766 test kit. I also have the Safedip electronic meter but rarely use it. It does not seem to be very accurate because the results varied too much.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Taylor K-1766 test kit here also. I prefer drops to strips.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

4. Back To Top    #4

I always had good luck w/ strips.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi we have an Aqua-Trol SWG on our pool. Are you all recommending that we also test the water separately even if the Aqua-Trol give and electronic reading on the diagnostic box? Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

I always test mine manually. My new Jandy Aquapure shows one reading, say 3200 ppm, and a totally different reading, say 3600 ppm the next time I turn on my remote. Not very accurate.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes. Our aquatrol shows 3200 but the drop test result is 3000.so there is a marginal difference between the two minutes the end it only matters what the generator thinks it actually is. As long as it's reading and your reading are close than you shouldn't have any issues.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

8. Back To Top    #8

Aqua Check Salt Water Strips been happy with them.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Aqua Trol display says 1900, pool store test (I know) says 2300. Doesn't really matter. If the AT says 1900 it will not generate. The testing number is close as I can tell by the tase of the water. My question is how does the AT unit compute the salt level? Is there a sensor in the generator or flow switch that determines the salt level displayed? Will a cell that is going bad give an inaccurate reading? Might be looking at a new cell if this one won't clean up, it looks to be OK but I will clean it again. In the meantime the pool is starting to turn greenish, so let the bleaching begin until I can get an accurate reading on my salt level displayed.
    Trenton, IL (St. Louis Area)
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.