New pool owner draining ques

Jun 4, 2013
Massachusetts
Hi all,

Just had a new 21' above ground pool installed. With this heavy rain from the tropics hitting the Northeast my water level is creeping up the skimmer. Have limited experienced with family pools but it's been 15+ years and my memory is cloudy. I've previously worked with a sand filter pool so draining was easy due to the backfliw switch option. I have a cartridge system now and with no backwash switch how exactly can I easily drain a few inches out of the pool without drenching the area right around the equipment.

Thanks for the help.

When you say hose, what type? I have the long vacuum hose that you would attach to a sand filter for back washing. But with the cartridge filter I don't believe this is an option. Thank you again. And yes a week ago we had 85+ degree temps. Now the pool is up and we've got rain forecasted 4 of 5 days :(

I meant a garden hose. It will be much slower than what you were used to with the sand filter waste setting. If you have a drain plug on the cartridge filter sthat you can modify to fit a garden hose or get a nipple on it to adapt to a backwash hose, that might work as well.

Thanks I just went outside and got soaked to take a look. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the filter. I'm hoping I can use that and get a good flow out. I have an adapter for a chlorinated that I believe will fit there and allow me to hook up the vacuum hose. Might be a fun time trying lol. Thanks again for the suggestion.

You would be surprised how much flow you can get out of a garden hose siphoning, just put it in the pool, kink one end and take it to a lower point and lay it down. Then raise the end you left in the pool to around the bottom of the skimmer so you don't accidentally drain too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.