Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Ultra Frame vs. Intex Metal Frame?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Ultra Frame vs. Intex Metal Frame?

Hey everyone, I apologize if this has been asked before, but I performed a forum search and did not find a topic like this one. We decided to go ahead and buy the 15 x 48 Intex Metal Frame Pool today. We have not set it up or taken it out of the box yet. After reading reviews of the metal frame pool, I've become a little skeptical about going forward with it. I found a 14 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame Pool for about the same price that was paid for the metal frame, and was wondering if I should bring back the metal frame and go ahead and pick up the ultra frame? Has anyone here had experience with both pools? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    First time pool owner; bought foreclosed home with abandoned pool.
    20x40; 30k gallon pool; S244T Hayward Sand Filter; In-ground; Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Intex Ultra Frame vs. Intex Metal Frame?

Welcome to tfp, AChris12

I searched the forum and found some threads about the differences. Here is a good one:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Peoria, IL

I think most people who have had both say the Ultra Frame is better. The Ultra frame legs are wider, as is the top rail, and it installs easier due to the built in lock tabs, while the blue metal frame has separate lock pins that have to be inserted into each piece, which means more parts to deal with (and potentially lose.) Some say the ultra frame liner is a little thicker too, though I can't say for sure because I've only had the ultra frame. Plus, I think the ultra frame just looks nicer too, almost like a steel wall pool (well, sort of.) I think you will be much happier with the ultra frame if you're willing to sacrifice that extra foot of diameter. Of course, you could also get a 16x48 Ultra Frame for more money.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Orlando, FL

If you can sacrifice the loss of a foot (500+ gallons), take it back. I have owned both and everything about the Ultra Frame is nicer.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

Ultra Frame all the way!!
    20 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    Sand filter with SWG attached.
    Deck added on (05/18/2013)
    Thinking about adding more deck
    Pool steps added in - (got rid of that crappy ladder that came with Intex pool) 05/18/2013.

"A little bit of paradise in our yard"

6. Back To Top    #6

From everything I've read, swap it for the Ultra.
    5,061 gallon Intex Ultra Frame 16x48 Saltwater Krystal Clear
    Softub 280