Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: POOL DECK CRACK AND LIFTING

1. Back To Top    #1

POOL DECK CRACK AND LIFTING

Is there a DIY repair that I can make to this crack? I'm not losing water, yet but this crack is getting worse with each passing year. I plan to redo my entire pool one day but just can't afford to do it now. I'd like to seal this as a temporary fix. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Southern California Pool Owner
    Gunite pool & spa, 25 years old construction
    Cantilevered construction with attached oversized spa
    1 hp motor, Pentair DG filter, Sta-Rite heater, additional blower
    Barracuda pool sweep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: POOL DECK CRACK AND LIFTING

Okay, so I take it that this is an issue that I should not be overly concerned with? Just checking. Thanks for your help.
    Southern California Pool Owner
    Gunite pool & spa, 25 years old construction
    Cantilevered construction with attached oversized spa
    1 hp motor, Pentair DG filter, Sta-Rite heater, additional blower
    Barracuda pool sweep

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP, I'm not a builder or repairer, just DIY guy. Do you know if your decking was a part of the pool (structural) if so then I haven't a clue. If not and since your not losing water then it may be possible to simply cut a wedge where the crack is, repack the base underneath and refill with concrete. The sides of the old concrete where they meet the patch would need to be cleaned and have a bonding agent applied to help with adhesion at the joints.
    My greatest concern would be why is it sinking/lifting and trying to fix that when you patch it.
    The nice part about where your crack is- next to a joint already! Possibly remove all concrete from that joint over to a straight line 6-8 inches beyond the current crack edge. It would like they added an extra expansion joint.
    Depending on concrete thickness I would also drill laterally into the old concrete and pin it so it doesn't shift.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

How big is the slab? Another wider angle picture would be good. It almost looks like the far side of the slab settled and it cracked and lifted from the pool. They may be able to raise the outside edge and close the gap also? If it does not have rebar in it I would not try it though. Since the whole slab moved, I am guessing it does have rebar in it.
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5