Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intro

1. Back To Top    #1

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading the boards for a couple months now while I wait to move into my new home with my first pool. I have learned a lot reading everything. I am 2 weeks away from having the pool and have the Taylor 2006 test kit ready to go. I know the current owner uses the pool store numbers since they commented on it and even said "that is everyone here does." Guess I might think twice before swimming in my neighbors' pools haha.

I am not positive the type of pool, but I think it is a fiberglass 15k gallon, with SWG. It has an attached spa. I don't know the filter type, but there is a heater that runs on propane. Since this is central/east Florida I don't know how much heating I will need during the summer though. Maybe just the spa.

The water looks clear, but I fear the CYA numbers are going to be really high since they went with the pool store suggestions which probably means chlorine tablets. I guess I will find out in a couple weeks. In the mean time I will continue to read and live vicariously.

I plan to add borax to the pool once I know the numbers are steady.
    Screened in 15,000 gallon in-ground plaster SWG pool with attached spa. Borates 40-50ppm. 1.5 HP pump. Propane heater. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Elverson Pa.

Re: intro

Welcome to TFP !!

When you get your pool post the test results. In the meantime keep reading. Congrats on learning to take control of your pool yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3
    DFW, Texas

Re: intro

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you already know the importance of testing and have your kit ready to go

Over the next couple of weeks, I would suggest reading all Pool School articles, but would start with these: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Basic Pool Care Schedule, Recommended Pool Chemicals, How to Chlorinate Your Pool, Chlorine CYA Chart, Shocking Your Pool. These articles will give you a good foundation and will enable you to get more out of the remaining articles.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.