Want to Submerge a hot tub. Suggestions Please

Mar 30, 2008
We have been enjoying our inground pool for 4 years now, and now we have an extensive seawall replacment that has to be done. So while the back yard is tore up AGAIN :rant: We are considering pouring another elevation of patio with a built in Bon Fire pit. While we are working with the cement I would like to form up a vault to recess a hot tub. Any thoughts or suggestions? Are the hot tubs a standard dimension? What is a quality manufactuer? Thanks in advance, :cheers:

Don't you need access to the sides of them for getting to the pumps/ motors?

Yes, you sure do, unless you're installing a sunken structure that runs off your pool equipment or is deigned to have the pump and controller(s) located on the equipment pad. While lots of folks deck out to partly surround the stand alone models, I don't think that type would be suitable for a concrete vault unless you left a generous work well for the pump, heater, and circuit board.

So you'd probably want to plan out the installation based on the tub and equipment you choose or have built right in rather than the reverse. Likewise, you'd ave to address drainage, as I don't see any logical way for a concrete surrounded tub to drain n less you connect a built-in drain that connects to another system.

IMHO, the disadvantage of a concrete surrounded hot tub might be the rehab cost when fixing inevitable leaks etc. years hence. On the other hand, that's what we do for pools, so if you take the pool approach and just build an "inground" structure with all the appropriate infrastructure and tie it into you system you'd likely be golden.

I have a Jacuzzi brand stand-alone that's been running for a million years (17 that I know of.) I did have to change out the pump last year, and the life expectancy on the 2 hp is typically about 15 years. Other than that, she's only ever required a pressure switch and a bit of tinkering here and there, so I'd give jacuzzi a thumbs up for longevity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.