Help with new Intex sand filter

May 31, 2013
We recently set up a 16'x48" Intex ultraframe pool with an Intex sand filter and SWG (copper bars unhooked). We put the salt in the pool and ran just the sand filter for 24 hours like the instructions said to do in order to help dissolve the salt. We then turned off the filter overnight and when I went out the next day to start it up for a 4 hour run on the timer (the recommended time for our size pool), the motor started up, but the water was not coming out into the pool. It's like there wasn't enough pressure to send the water through the system. I turned it off and took off the clear lid on the filter, screwed that back on tight and turned it to on (not timer) and it worked. Again, tried the timer and it didn't work - very little flow coming into the pool. Any ideas?

Also, does it make sense to run our sand filter for about 4 hours a day and our SWG for 2 hours? I have read through all of the recommendations and we haven't tested the water yet since we are having filter trouble so I know it can vary...

Thank you! My husband is working 80 hours this week and I'm trying to get this figured out before our pool turns green!

Is your pump basket full of water? Do you have plunger valves on the suction and return lines and are they open? When you open the clear lid water should start coming out if the valves are open.

What position is the valve on the filter set to?

I found that with my sand filter, My skimmer basket had to be completely in the water or I would get 0 pressure on my sand filter. There are times when running I do lose pressure on my tank and have not figured out why. I am not sure if it is a pump break or what, but I check everything and then all of a sudden it is back to it's normal pressure. odd.

(I am NO EXPERT, but learning about my machine!!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.