DE IN RETURNS

Jun 4, 2013
I backwased the pool, now when the pump is turn on DE is coming in through the returns. I took the filter apart and there were no tears in the grids, and the manifold was fine. Any advice for next step? I have a Pentair FNS Plus 36.

I have the same problem with a FNS plus 60, I am assuming they are similar. The guy at Leslie's pool supply told me I didn't need the gasket between the manifold and the grids. Is this true?

Yes, it is a thin black spacer to aid in lining up the grids with the manifold. The guy at Leslie's told me that they wear out and cause leaks between the manifold and grids, and that I would be better off without it? I wanted to check with the experts here and see if that made since before I open up my filter again. It wouldn't be the first time the "experts" at the store were wrong. (I know they are trying to help)

Pigpen said:
Yes, it is a thin black spacer to aid in lining up the grids with the manifold. The guy at Leslie's told me that they wear out and cause leaks between the manifold and grids, and that I would be better off without it? I wanted to check with the experts here and see if that made since before I open up my filter again. It wouldn't be the first time the "experts" at the store were wrong. (I know they are trying to help)
:roll:

If it wore out, it would just let the grids wobble around and make lining up the manifold harder, but no different than reassembling it without it. He's full of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On the video I watched, haven't done one, they just used a dab of glue at the outer junctions where they formed the "T" junction along the perimeter. I'm guessing it's just to keep the gasket from trying to stick to the rotating valve and tearing. They also recommended you always turn it in the same direction. That seemed to make sense once I saw the inside of that valve.

Sounds like you got the one where the "clown" chose to glue the whole thing down. You might end up having to be creative and grinding down a small narrow flat blade screwdriver into a 1/8" wide gasket scraper. You just need to go slow and remember it's not metal you're scraping on and it has to be flat when you're done so it doesn't leak. It would be great if there was something plastic . . . if you get crazy you could try cutting down the end of a toothbrush to make a strong plastic scraper that wouldn't hurt the valve assembly itself ?? Just a though that popped into my head.

Might help, video:http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/how_to_replace_a_spider_gasket_on_a_multiport_valve.aspx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.