Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE IN RETURNS

1. Back To Top    #1

DE IN RETURNS

I backwased the pool, now when the pump is turn on DE is coming in through the returns. I took the filter apart and there were no tears in the grids, and the manifold was fine. Any advice for next step? I have a Pentair FNS Plus 36.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE IN RETURNS

How about the multiport valve? Did you check the spider gasket?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Not yet, I will check that next

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same problem with a FNS plus 60, I am assuming they are similar. The guy at Leslie's pool supply told me I didn't need the gasket between the manifold and the grids. Is this true?
    20K gallon plaster pool with spillover spa; Pentair 1 1/2hp main pump. Pentair FNSP 60 DE filter. 1/2hp pump to waterfall, 1hp pump for 6 spa jets.

5. Back To Top    #5

There is a black spacer between the grids and manifold to line up the grids. It is not a gasket. At least on the 36 it is that way.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, it is a thin black spacer to aid in lining up the grids with the manifold. The guy at Leslie's told me that they wear out and cause leaks between the manifold and grids, and that I would be better off without it? I wanted to check with the experts here and see if that made since before I open up my filter again. It wouldn't be the first time the "experts" at the store were wrong. (I know they are trying to help)
    20K gallon plaster pool with spillover spa; Pentair 1 1/2hp main pump. Pentair FNSP 60 DE filter. 1/2hp pump to waterfall, 1hp pump for 6 spa jets.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Pigpen
    Yes, it is a thin black spacer to aid in lining up the grids with the manifold. The guy at Leslie's told me that they wear out and cause leaks between the manifold and grids, and that I would be better off without it? I wanted to check with the experts here and see if that made since before I open up my filter again. It wouldn't be the first time the "experts" at the store were wrong. (I know they are trying to help)

If it wore out, it would just let the grids wobble around and make lining up the manifold harder, but no different than reassembling it without it. He's full of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Spider gasket looks a little beat up. It is glued down like no tomorrow, any advive how to get it out?

9. Back To Top    #9

A flat blade screw driver should work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Tried that and pulling on it with needle nose pliers no luck. It just pulls the gasket apart. Does it have to be glued in that well when i replace it?

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

On the video I watched, haven't done one, they just used a dab of glue at the outer junctions where they formed the "T" junction along the perimeter. I'm guessing it's just to keep the gasket from trying to stick to the rotating valve and tearing. They also recommended you always turn it in the same direction. That seemed to make sense once I saw the inside of that valve.

Sounds like you got the one where the "clown" chose to glue the whole thing down. You might end up having to be creative and grinding down a small narrow flat blade screwdriver into a 1/8" wide gasket scraper. You just need to go slow and remember it's not metal you're scraping on and it has to be flat when you're done so it doesn't leak. It would be great if there was something plastic . . . if you get crazy you could try cutting down the end of a toothbrush to make a strong plastic scraper that wouldn't hurt the valve assembly itself ?? Just a though that popped into my head.

Might help, video:http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...ort_valve.aspx
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?° too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!