Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and Bacteria

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA and Bacteria

Another day, another random thought......

We've heard stories and seen evidence of people's CYA disappearing over the winter, and I think I remember reading that it was due to some sort of bacteria eating the CYA.

Is there anymore known about this? What if...someone could identify the bacteria and intentionally put it in a pool with high CYA - as an alternative to drain/refil?

I know, probably isn't practical, but is it possible?
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: CYA and Bacteria

We have often joked that someone could become a millionaire if they figured out how to do this.

One issue is that while it reduces the CYA, it also generally raises levels of other undesirables, like ammonia, which then requires massive amounts of chlorine to remove. So ... would it be cheaper to buy a product to add and then buy a lot of chlorine to remove the ammonia/CC ... or to just replace some water ???
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: CYA and Bacteria

See Degradation of Cyanuric Acid for technical details. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy way that we know of to control the bacteria so that they degrade the CYA all the way to nitrogen gas rather than stop at ammonia. It's related to the types of bacteria and whether the conditions are aerobic or anaerobic.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"