How low can I keep TA to avoid PH creep up?

dborn

Aug 15, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I use a Stenner pump with 10% pool liquid chlorine to keep the chlorine around 1ppm.
I also have an ozonator which injects some air bubbles into the water stream along with the ozone.

I figure this is the reason why my PH is always high (the constant aeration). I've been fighting to keep it away from 7.8+. I've been trying to lower the PH but it also lowers my TA. In an effort to stabilize it all in the lower part of the 7.2-7.8 range, I have lowered the PH to 7.0 a few days ago by adding muriatic acid and now, the PH is already back up to 7.4 and my TA is only 50 in a fibreglass pool.

Should I add baking soda to increase the TA (and also the PH) or can I live with a TA around 50? Hopefully my PH won't be back up to 7.8 with a TA that low?

Thanks,
Daniel

50 is kinda low, but you could manage it. Anything less than that might cause wild pH swings and should probably be raised. See what sitting at 50 does for you. You could also add borates to your pool. Borates act as a secondary buffer system and can be very helpful in situations like yours where pH and TA are a constant battle.

Good idea, I'll see what TA=50 does to the PH and if it's not good, I'll go have a try with the BBB method... (don't have a dog or cat and only the neighbourhood cats and squirrels come drink from it. I'm fine with them not coming anymore if they don't like it!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.