Hello - New to the Forum

CZJon

May 30, 2013
Houston, Texas (Huffman)
Pool Size
Hi,

Just saying Hello. First thing I did last week when I joined was to Call Meg and Dave and TFTestKits and get a TF-100. Dave was very helpful and helped me go from "Hey I just dumped 10,500 gallons into my pool" to now I am an ametuer water chemist! ;-) The water went from clear (first day) to slimy to me adding Bleach, and waking up the a very green pool. Working with the PH and the Chrlorine only, and cleaning the pool, we know have Crystal clear water.

So, I just got the TFKit today. Ran the tests, and the CYA test, I almost overflowed the tube looking at the black dot, becuase I could see it all the way up to 20. So what does that mean? Good? Bad?

I am in Houston, TX and was worried about the Intex, but it seems like the best 700 bucks I have spent. I get worn out in the yard, just jump in the pool.

CL = 2.5
PH = 7.5
CYA = ~20?

We are really looking for a good vacuum for the pool. I hear I might want to swap my pump though? Lastly, looking at my picture, I am trying to get rid of the greeen ring around the pool - Any ideas?

[attachment=0:2mvf6rq0]pool (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2mvf6rq0]

Talk to you guys soon!

Jon

Attachments

• pool (Medium).jpg
    pool (Medium).jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 205
Hi, Jon,

You don't have any CYA in your pool. As a result you will consume a LOT of chlorine.

Add enough CYA to bring your pool up to about 40 ppm and you should be good to go.

Test TA and CH when you get a chance....no hurry

Your water looks good!

Welcome to tfp, CZJon :wave:

Have you added any cya/stabilizer yet (this includes using trichlor or dichlor)? If not then you are at 0. Like duraleigh said, add enough to get up 40 ppm cya by using a old sock hung in front of the return (water back to the pool), then test again in a week to check it.

What are the results for FC, CC, TA, CH?

welcome to TFP
if you have a Rural King near you they have the pump and filter you need it is the intex 16 inch sand filter and 2650 gph pump combo for 179.99 and you get a 50.00 Rural King rebate for a final price of 129.99 they also have 31.45% Muriatic Acid for 2.99 a gallon and 10% liquid chlorine for 9.99 a case 4-1 gallon jugs..........Mike

Ok,

So I did some tests, here are the results:

PH was 8.2 so added enough acid to drop to 7.2; Chlorine was 1 so bumped it up...
130 for TA
300 for CH

as in the previous post, I know I need CYA. I have a 10k gallon pool, so I got one 4# container of stabilizer (CYA). Question is I have heard to stick in a sock.... I have an intex, I am afraid it will cause the pump to loose suction. Can I just put it in a sock in front of my discharge? Also, how long till the kids can swim? Lastly, don't change the or clean the filter for 24 hours for sure?

Also, does it hurt to super chlorinate at the same time? I do need the CYA, cuz' I am burning through liquid chlorine.

Last question is I have the floating ducky that holds the hockey pucks of Chlorine. Will I ever use that chlorine pucks?

What else should I do?

Thanks GuyS!

We are really looking for a good vacuum for the pool. I hear I might want to swap my pump though? Lastly, looking at my picture, I am trying to get rid of the greeen ring around the pool - Any ideas?
..... try a Magic Eraser.

Last question is I have the floating ducky that holds the hockey pucks of Chlorine. Will I ever use that chlorine pucks?
You can keep them & use them for vacations....assumming you have room in your CYA level.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I'm in the same boat as far as thinking im an "amateur water chemist" haha. I have learned so much since I joined this forum only a few weeks ago. After a day or 2 with my TF-100 the water is the clearest it has ever been (first time home owner/pool owner here). I had a friend offer to come help maintain my pool the other day but now that I have my own test kit I told him i'd be alright. Before TFP I had so many friends telling me what to do, everyone having a different story and me not knowing what was actually going on. I'm excited to get it all going on my own(and with the knowledgeable people on TFP!).
Welcome!

Sounds like maybe your friends that were guessing and "helping" can come over and see your sparkly, clean pool; learn how simple and inexpensive it is; and want you to come to their pool and show them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Hello - New to the Forum & Stairs question

Yeah man I bought some magic erasers the other day and hit them up today before I read your post! Wow! Pool looks awesome. So I am going to do some CYA and also set the levels up. One question, how long before the kids can swim after I put the CYA in?

Want to make sure with all these checmicals I have a guideline of safe swimming times. Does anyone have a chart?

Also, thinking about upgrading, and saw the post above about Rural King. Want to make sure whatever I get can run a automatic type Polaris cleaner - Do you guys recommend one?

Lastly, thinking about upgrading the ladders and we are here:

A) http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop?categ ... duct=ne115
B) http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Accessori ... em-Double/
C) http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/p ... 7Aod4z4A0w
D) http://www.innovaplas.com/products/aboveground/1001/

I am a big guy and the stairs that come with the intex 22' foot are pretty unstable. I can see me falling down getting out.... Thoughts?

By the way - TFTestKits sent out my replacement box for the test kit (the original cracked) - It was here in one day! Awesome customer service. heck, I would have paid all that just to talk to Dave!

This is the ladder I have. It is the Integrity A-Frame. I have had it over 10 years with no issues.

AG_Ladder_5_1.jpg

It has been used as a full a-frame from the pool to the surrounding ground, from the pool or a low deck and currently from the pool to a high deck.

IMG_4962.JPG

The deck is about 35 inches below the top rail, IIRC.

IMG_5155.JPG

This was during the installation. It is cleaner and more stable. This was during the deck building stage so the kids could play.

I added bricks to the base of the ladder, per the manufacturers instructions. It has a section at the bottom of the inside section for bricks, standard Home Depot bricks. As for liner damage, I have not had any damage to either liner. To prevent damage, You can add a piece of old liner, a bath mat or like me.. Nothing. I think my ladder actually floats a tiny bit so it is not sitting on the floor most of the time (or at least the full weight of the ladder is not on the floor). The fin that goes towards the wall doesn't touch the side wall.

Ok, so a couple of weeks of running and we were running into a cloudiness issue, just cloudy. water feels good, though the cartridge filter (b type) are filling up and the output is very low. We clean the cartridge and it goes great for about 2-4 hours. The numbers from the test kit indicate:

FC - 6ppm
CC - .5
TC = 6.5

TA = 100
CH = 280
Cya = 60

I am wondering if some of this cloudiness is me needing to add hard metal suspension again?

Thanks!
Jon

99 out of 100 times cloudiness is the start of algae. Your FC level makes that seem less likely, but it is still a possibility.

What is your PH? If PH is high and the cloudiness is white, then it is probably calcium clouding.

If you don't add enough sequestrant, you might get stains, or the water might turn a clear transparent color (often green), but you wouldn't get cloudiness.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.