Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello - New to the Forum

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello - New to the Forum

Hi,

Just saying Hello. First thing I did last week when I joined was to Call Meg and Dave and TFTestKits and get a TF-100. Dave was very helpful and helped me go from "Hey I just dumped 10,500 gallons into my pool" to now I am an ametuer water chemist! The water went from clear (first day) to slimy to me adding Bleach, and waking up the a very green pool. Working with the PH and the Chrlorine only, and cleaning the pool, we know have Crystal clear water.

So, I just got the TFKit today. Ran the tests, and the CYA test, I almost overflowed the tube looking at the black dot, becuase I could see it all the way up to 20. So what does that mean? Good? Bad?

I am in Houston, TX and was worried about the Intex, but it seems like the best 700 bucks I have spent. I get worn out in the yard, just jump in the pool.

CL = 2.5
    PH = 7.5
    CYA = ~20?

We are really looking for a good vacuum for the pool. I hear I might want to swap my pump though? Lastly, looking at my picture, I am trying to get rid of the greeen ring around the pool - Any ideas?

[attachment=0:2mvf6rq0]pool (Medium).jpg[/attachment:2mvf6rq0]

Talk to you guys soon!

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vinyl Above Ground (AG) Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool, 10,500 gal, Pump: Intek Model 633T Pump, B Type Cartridge Filter, Intek Skimmer Add-on (nice!), TF-100 TFTestKit

Born and raised in the Panama Canal Zone by Luck, living in Texas by the Grace of God.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hello - New to the Forum

Hi, Jon,

You don't have any CYA in your pool. As a result you will consume a LOT of chlorine.

Add enough CYA to bring your pool up to about 40 ppm and you should be good to go.

Test TA and CH when you get a chance....no hurry

Your water looks good!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, CZJon

Have you added any cya/stabilizer yet (this includes using trichlor or dichlor)? If not then you are at 0. Like duraleigh said, add enough to get up 40 ppm cya by using a old sock hung in front of the return (water back to the pool), then test again in a week to check it.

What are the results for FC, CC, TA, CH?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Good job on getting yourself a good test kit. That will save you time and money.

5. Back To Top    #5

welcome to TFP
    if you have a Rural King near you they have the pump and filter you need it is the intex 16 inch sand filter and 2650 gph pump combo for 179.99 and you get a 50.00 Rural King rebate for a final price of 129.99 they also have 31.45% Muriatic Acid for 2.99 a gallon and 10% liquid chlorine for 9.99 a case 4-1 gallon jugs..........Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok,

So I did some tests, here are the results:

PH was 8.2 so added enough acid to drop to 7.2; Chlorine was 1 so bumped it up...
    130 for TA
    300 for CH

as in the previous post, I know I need CYA. I have a 10k gallon pool, so I got one 4# container of stabilizer (CYA). Question is I have heard to stick in a sock.... I have an intex, I am afraid it will cause the pump to loose suction. Can I just put it in a sock in front of my discharge? Also, how long till the kids can swim? Lastly, don't change the or clean the filter for 24 hours for sure?

Also, does it hurt to super chlorinate at the same time? I do need the CYA, cuz' I am burning through liquid chlorine.

Last question is I have the floating ducky that holds the hockey pucks of Chlorine. Will I ever use that chlorine pucks?

What else should I do?

Thanks GuyS!
    Vinyl Above Ground (AG) Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame Swimming Pool, 10,500 gal, Pump: Intek Model 633T Pump, B Type Cartridge Filter, Intek Skimmer Add-on (nice!), TF-100 TFTestKit

Born and raised in the Panama Canal Zone by Luck, living in Texas by the Grace of God.

7. Back To Top    #7

CYA in a sock in front of the return is the preferred method. Sound like you are on your way to summer fun!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

We are really looking for a good vacuum for the pool. I hear I might want to swap my pump though? Lastly, looking at my picture, I am trying to get rid of the greeen ring around the pool - Any ideas?
    ..... try a Magic Eraser.

Last question is I have the floating ducky that holds the hockey pucks of Chlorine. Will I ever use that chlorine pucks?
    You can keep them & use them for vacations....assumming you have room in your CYA level.

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm in the same boat as far as thinking im an "amateur water chemist" haha. I have learned so much since I joined this forum only a few weeks ago. After a day or 2 with my TF-100 the water is the clearest it has ever been (first time home owner/pool owner here). I had a friend offer to come help maintain my pool the other day but now that I have my own test kit I told him i'd be alright. Before TFP I had so many friends telling me what to do, everyone having a different story and me not knowing what was actually going on. I'm excited to get it all going on my own(and with the knowledgeable people on TFP!).
    Welcome!
    Aaron
    26' Octagon, IG Pool, ~16gal, 5-5 1/2' deep, Liner, Sand Filter, Polaris Autoclear salt system, 3/4hp Pump, Pool Blaster Max Vacuum, TF-100 Test Kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds like maybe your friends that were guessing and "helping" can come over and see your sparkly, clean pool; learn how simple and inexpensive it is; and want you to come to their pool and show them.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Hello - New to the Forum & Stairs question

Yeah man I bought some magic erasers the other day and hit them up today before I read your post! Wow! Pool looks awesome. So I am going to do some CYA and also set the levels up. One question, how long before the kids can swim after I put the CYA in?

Want to make sure with all these checmicals I have a guideline of safe swimming times. Does anyone have a chart?

Also, thinking about upgrading, and saw the post above about Rural King. Want to make sure whatever I get can run a automatic type Polaris cleaner - Do you guys recommend one?

Lastly, thinking about upgrading the ladders and we are here:

A) http://www.familypoolfun.com/shop?categ ... duct=ne115
    B) http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Accessori ... em-Double/
    C) http://www.backyardpoolsuperstore.com/p ... 7Aod4z4A0w
    D) http://www.innovaplas.com/products/aboveground/1001/

I am a big guy and the stairs that come with the intex 22' foot are pretty unstable. I can see me falling down getting out.... Thoughts?

By the way - TFTestKits sent out my replacement box for the test kit (the original cracked) - It was here in one day! Awesome customer service. ****, I would have paid all that just to talk to Dave!

12. Back To Top    #12

I am a big guy and have an Integrity ladder that started life as an AFrame and has been converted to a deck ladder. I will have photos tomorrow.
    -- Guy --

13. Back To Top    #13

CYA takes a bit to dissolve (if dry) so you can swim immediately. For pretty much every other chemical addition, wait 30-60 minutes with pump running to mix it in, then swim away!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

14. Back To Top    #14

This is the ladder I have. It is the Integrity A-Frame. I have had it over 10 years with no issues.

It has been used as a full a-frame from the pool to the surrounding ground, from the pool or a low deck and currently from the pool to a high deck.

The deck is about 35 inches below the top rail, IIRC.

This was during the installation. It is cleaner and more stable. This was during the deck building stage so the kids could play.
    -- Guy --

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for the note on the CYA!

As for the ladder, did you have to put sand it in ? I worry about them jacking up the bottom of the liner....

16. Back To Top    #16

I added bricks to the base of the ladder, per the manufacturers instructions. It has a section at the bottom of the inside section for bricks, standard Home Depot bricks. As for liner damage, I have not had any damage to either liner. To prevent damage, You can add a piece of old liner, a bath mat or like me.. Nothing. I think my ladder actually floats a tiny bit so it is not sitting on the floor most of the time (or at least the full weight of the ladder is not on the floor). The fin that goes towards the wall doesn't touch the side wall.
    -- Guy --

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok, so a couple of weeks of running and we were running into a cloudiness issue, just cloudy. water feels good, though the cartridge filter (b type) are filling up and the output is very low. We clean the cartridge and it goes great for about 2-4 hours. The numbers from the test kit indicate:

FC - 6ppm
    CC - .5
    TC = 6.5

TA = 100
    CH = 280
    Cya = 60

I am wondering if some of this cloudiness is me needing to add hard metal suspension again?

Thanks!
    Jon

18. Back To Top    #18

99 out of 100 times cloudiness is the start of algae. Your FC level makes that seem less likely, but it is still a possibility.

What is your PH? If PH is high and the cloudiness is white, then it is probably calcium clouding.

If you don't add enough sequestrant, you might get stains, or the water might turn a clear transparent color (often green), but you wouldn't get cloudiness.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

PH is between 7.5 and 7.8...after a rainstorm this morning the water is getting a bit of a greenish tint.

20. Back To Top    #20

Sounds like I would to raise to a shock FC tonight and see what the OCLT tells me in the morning. A couple extra ounces of chlorine could save a lot of work.
    -- Guy --