Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what test kit should I buy

1. Back To Top    #1

what test kit should I buy

hello fellow pool owners. I am new to this and looking forward to getting advice. I recently purchased a 18 foot round above ground pool. What is the best and most reliable test kit out on the market today
    I have a 18' round pool 54" deep Meadows Pool (Namco)8600 gal. Waterway -1 hp motor - Waterway cartridge filter 150SF - Hayward Goldline AQ-TROL-HP Above Ground Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what test kit should I buy

Welcome to tfp, chevytruck1214

See this pool school article for recommended test kits: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison Many of us have the tf-100 because it is the best value (the seller of the tf-100 is also the owner of this forum).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I own the Talyor K2006, it's a great kit but more than I need, that said I'd go with the the TF-100, it's tailored to what you need.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chevytruck1214
    hello fellow pool owners. I am new to this and looking forward to getting advice. I recently purchased a 18 foot round above ground pool. What is the best and most reliable test kit out on the market today

I use the Talyor K2005, easy to use. Seems accurate as compared to what my pool shop results are. They use Taylor regents as well, although I didn't buy it from them and they mark up the regents brutally .... so I buy direct, when replenishing.

Maybe, choose your kit based on ease/cost of regent replacement ??? The TF100 uses Taylor regents so I expect both are equally accurate. Avoid the cheap sets from walmart, small shops, etc .... they may have been on the shelf for 5 years and be useless anyway.

KC
    KC in Ottawa, Ont. Canada........62.5k L(16.5k us gal) IG Vinyl Pool. 18 x 32 Odysee II. Hayward S270T sand filter and 1.5hp pump. Zodiac Duo Clear 130 Salt System(up to 130k L), Raypack Digital Pool Heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

The key to a good test kit is the FAS-DPD chlorine test ... it is more accurate and will read much higher levels of both FC and CC.
    FYI, The K-2005 is lacking this test and thus the reason we recommend the K-2006 or the TF-100.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Dittos to Jblizzle, whatever test kit you get it HAS to have the FAS-DPD test, absolutely.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list