Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Large Bubbles coming from Return line

1. Back To Top    #1

Large Bubbles coming from Return line

So I am troubleshooting a suction side leak. Is it a fair assumption that if a hose fitting and clamp are not leaking water...(I can't find any drips at any fittings) that air is not getting sucked in also. In other words can air get sucked in with no loss of water? I know this sounds like a dumb question but I was taught in the ARMY that there are no dumb questions, just stupid people...(just kidding). I replaced my skimmer last season and used new gaskets and I don't have any water running down the side of the pool. I just replaced my pump and motor with a brand new unit (see signature below). I have 1 1/2 inch pvc running under the deck from the skimmer to the pump and then back from the return side of the filter to the return fitting on the pool. I can not find any water dripping.
    John Rogers
    24 foot above ground, 13500 gallon, Hayward Power-Flo LX (70 GPM) with 1.5 HP Motor, 18 inch Pentair Sand Filter , Chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Large Bubbles coming from Return line

So I have an equally silly question, how are you sure it is coming from the suction side ? Bubbles in return could be introduced nearly anywhere ??

Do you see bubbles in your skimmer basket ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Bubbles in return could be introduced nearly anywhere ??
    No. Any air introduced into a pool circulatory system comes from the suction side. Air cannot enter anywhere else (pump running)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the clarification Dave....
    John Rogers
    24 foot above ground, 13500 gallon, Hayward Power-Flo LX (70 GPM) with 1.5 HP Motor, 18 inch Pentair Sand Filter , Chlorine

5. Back To Top    #5

I am seeing air in the pump strainer basket...
    John Rogers

6. Back To Top    #6

Must be air entering between the skimmer and the pump.

Check and lube the pump lid o-ring and check the drain plugs on the pump.

You can try putting shaving cream on any plumbing joints to see if it is sucked in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the advice....I will look at the o-ring and drain fittings....this a brand new pump and motor and I failed to look at the o-ring and drain fitting....I assumed they were fine... but maybe they are not ....also I will try the shaving cream trick...I have asked this question before but ....Can air get in without water dripping or spraying out?
    John Rogers

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes. If the pump is running there is negative pressure on the suction lines so air can be pulled in. When the pump is off, water still may not drip out of the air leak source and it may seal up when not under negative pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks Jason
    I purchased this new pump at a very reduced sales price... It is a 1 1/2 HP pump...my old pump was a 3/4 HP....is it possible I have caused or will cause future issues with my system. My 18 inch Pentair filter is rated at 38 GPM max...(just wondering)
    John Rogers

10. Back To Top    #10

The pump is certainly more powerful and thus has higher suction so you may see problems now that were not obvious before. Also your filtration is going to suffer some since you are now likely forcing more water through the filter than it was designed for.

BTW, for your pool size, we would recommend a 21" sand filter as a minimum anyways (regardless of the pump size) ... which is around 36% larger than what you currently have.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Certainly, your pump is too big for that filter.

On a second subject, your filter is too small for the pool.

To get a better system, you can replace the filter with a 24" and match all three up much better.
    Dave S.

12. Back To Top    #12

what problems can I expect to have until I get a new filter? I have had this filter for 8 years. I have not noticed any previous filtration issues.
    John Rogers

13. Back To Top    #13

Now the pump is too powerful, so the water will flow faster through the sand bed and it will not filter as well as it did with the smaller pump.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Got it....checking on a new 24" filter...so before, when I had the 3/4 HP pump and ran it 24/7 I was probably just getting by. How long would you recommend I run my new pump with a 24" filter ?
    John Rogers

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

Start at 12 hours daily and then adjust up or down depending on how your water looks.
    Dave S.

16. Back To Top    #16

I just checked the drain plug on the back of my new pump...it was loose....put some Teflon tape on it and tightened it back up........NO MORE BUBBLES !!! thanks for the advice....Word to the wise for everyone "check all fittings and plugs even on new equipment..."NEVER ASSUME"...
    John Rogers

17. Back To Top    #17

That is awesome that it was such an easy fix
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

So Dave Please don't laugh too hard when I run this by you...

My old pump was rated at 50 gpm, and my new one is 70 gpm... I am planning on upgrading to a larger filter but it may be a month or so to get it...so I was thinking that flow rate was related to pressure...and if I reduced the pressure going into my filter valve it would reduce the flow rate....so I thought about creating a 3 or 4 inch diameter pressure dropping chamber out of a foot or so of high pressure pvc and inserting it into the 1 1/2 inch plastic hose that connects my pump to the filter valve....what do you think? Am I wasting my time?
    John Rogers

19. Back To Top    #19

I am not exactly sure about what you described, but adding a restriction (valve) between the pump and filter could be used to reduce the flow rate through the filter.

Although I am not sure I would worry about it until you think you are actually experiencing too much flow through the filter ... like if you can not keep the water clean.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

that's pretty much what I was describing....I don't think I will worry about it. thanks again
    John Rogers