CYA & Fiberglass Pool help guy with OCD

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
So, I have been reading and reading and reading and I get 99% of The Pool School.

I just have one follow up to verify my thought process.

My CYA is currently approx. 20 - water is nice and clear, etc. According to what I read I need to bring it up to approx. 30 - so working on that slowly.

The range is 30-50 of CYA - and thus I understand the corresponding FC levels.

To a layman, it seems that a CYA of 30 would allow me to keep a lower FC level and still have awesome water. What is the down side of staying at 30 ? Is it just the SUN will eat my FC faster than at 50 and I will have to inject more bleach to keep the TARGET FC where needed, etc.

Is my Pool Schooling thinking accurate ?

Thanks again!

toofast said:
What is the down side of staying at 30 ? Is it just the SUN will eat my FC faster than at 50 and I will have to inject more bleach to keep the TARGET FC where needed, etc.

This is exactly right. Even though the target FC is higher at 50ppm, you will actually end up having to add less FC each day because less is lost to the sun.

If you do not have strong sun all day, then 30ppm could be plenty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.