Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA & Fiberglass Pool help guy with OCD

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA & Fiberglass Pool help guy with OCD

So, I have been reading and reading and reading and I get 99% of The Pool School.

I just have one follow up to verify my thought process.

My CYA is currently approx. 20 - water is nice and clear, etc. According to what I read I need to bring it up to approx. 30 - so working on that slowly.

The range is 30-50 of CYA - and thus I understand the corresponding FC levels.

To a layman, it seems that a CYA of 30 would allow me to keep a lower FC level and still have awesome water. What is the down side of staying at 30 ? Is it just the SUN will eat my FC faster than at 50 and I will have to inject more bleach to keep the TARGET FC where needed, etc.

Is my Pool Schooling thinking accurate ?

Thanks again!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA & Fiberglass Pool help guy with OCD

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    What is the down side of staying at 30 ? Is it just the SUN will eat my FC faster than at 50 and I will have to inject more bleach to keep the TARGET FC where needed, etc.
    This is exactly right. Even though the target FC is higher at 50ppm, you will actually end up having to add less FC each day because less is lost to the sun.

If you do not have strong sun all day, then 30ppm could be plenty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good question!!

I'll be interested to see the answer.
    16 x 32 In-Ground vinyl, 21,000 Gallons, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward Tiger Shark robotic cleaner, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    Good question!!

Was my previous answer not good enough
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good enough for me...thanks again!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Quote Originally Posted by dschribs
    Good question!!

Was my previous answer not good enough
    They were probably typing when you answered, your answer posted first.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.