Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Box on Muriatic Acid says 29%

1. Back To Top    #1

Box on Muriatic Acid says 29%

Just purchased a box of muriatic acid from the pool store that says on the label 29% muriatic acid. I notice that the pool calculator has 31.45% and 28.3%. I'm I right that I have a sinking feeling that I have something non-standard or is that I am new to this and it really corresponds to one of the settings in the pool calculator. If it does not correspond, is it still usable or should I be returning it?
    25,500K gal, IG, Cartridge, Pebble, Pentair Intelliflow 1800rpm/3450rpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Box on Muriatic Acid says 29%

That is a little non-standard, but that isn't really a problem. Unless the quantities you need to use are really large, you can simply use the 31.45% setting. The resulting error will be small and no need to worry about it. If you are using a large quantity all at once, add an additional 1/20th of the amount recommended.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Box on Muriatic Acid says 29%

Jason, thanks so much for the answer. So if I am going to add borates using the method described on the board to bring my pool up to 50ppm borates the pool calculator says to use 715 oz or 5 gallons and 2 quarts or muriatic acid, so in this case I would use 750 oz or 5 gallons and 3 quarts (I rounded a little) does that sound right to you. Pool is 25,500 gallons.
    25,500K gal, IG, Cartridge, Pebble, Pentair Intelliflow 1800rpm/3450rpm