Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I correct low CYA and high ALK at same time

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I correct low CYA and high ALK at same time

Hi guys! In second year of Troublefree SWG pool and just getting balanced, from numbers below you see I have low CYA and high ALK. Want to add recommended amount of stabilizer and use acid process to lower Alk (reduce pH, aerate and repeat until ok) but just wondered whether I had to wait some time after adding liquid stabilizer before I did the acid pH/Alk thingy.
    Thanks so much!

I have learned so much from you guys--basic understanding of the chemistry rocks!!

36,000 Vinyl SWG, Hayward t-15 running 80%
    72 degrees
    3200 salt
    100 Alk
    40 CYA
    200 cal.
    7.5 pH
    5 Chl.
    38,900 gal., UG, vinyl, SWG, Hayward w/T-15, 1.0HP pump, sand filter, Aquabot Turbo-T

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Can I correct low CYA and high ALK at same time

Pretty much. Although it is always a good idea to adjust a single parameter at a time. There is no real hurry on either one of those two so you have time.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Can I correct low CYA and high ALK at same time

You never want to add two different chemicals at exactly the same time. But as long as you give it a minute or two between chemicals you should be alright.

If you use the sock method for adding CYA, don't pour the acid directly on the sock
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School