Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi! I am also new to TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi! I am also new to TFP

Hi! I am also new to TFP

Pool is 20K, sand, IG, vinyl, fiberglass. I live in New Jersey. Pool has alittle algae on walls and cloudy.

readings FC 16, PH .6, CC0 and CYA 80. I plan on adding more bleach and water to increase my FC and lower my CYA. Should I add some baking soda and turn off my automatic chloridator?
    Thanks Danea

Pool is 20K, sand, IG, vinyl, fiberglass, polaris 360 cleaner. I live in New Jersey.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hi! I am also new to TFP

Welcome to TFP!!!

I split your post into your own thread.

Please add your pool details and location as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I do not understand your test results ... please try again as numbers appear to be missing.
    Baking soda raises TA, not pH as much if that is what you are trying to do:
    pool-school/pool_water_chemistry
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

ok. I will check again when I get home.
    Thanks Danea

Pool is 20K, sand, IG, vinyl, fiberglass, polaris 360 cleaner. I live in New Jersey.

4. Back To Top    #4

For example ... a pH of .6 makes no sense.

What test kit do you have? Can you also post TA?

By the by, your CYA is roughly double the level we would recommend and if the test result is to be trusted, you likely would be best served to replace 40-50% of the water to get that in check before you go through the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

sorry the ph is 6.0. ive been using my neighbors test kit (not sure)
    Thanks Danea

6. Back To Top    #6

Best investment would be to get one of the Recommended Test Kits before you do much to the water.

The good pH tests only go down to 6.8 or 7.2 ... so a reading of 6.0 makes be feel
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Good advice thus far. Welcome to TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi danae's neighbor we tested with a TF100 kit. Ph is less than 6.7. CYA is 80 down from 100 the other day. She replaced a good bit of water, I thought it was low enough that we could work with it. As the pool is in full sun all day. She knows it is still high and we can work on lowering it as the season progresses but I thought it was low enough for right now as long as she doesn't add any more through pucks etc.

According to the calculator she should keep FCC at 21 with cya of 80. They are using 12% chlorine. And raise PH with Borax. Is this correct?
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

Ah ... they are lucky to have a neighbor like you

Did you test the TA? You will want to raise the pH with borax to around 7.2 and then start the shock process. For a CYA of 80ppm, the Pool School table puts the shock level at 31ppm, poolcalculator puts it at 21ppm. Either way is fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes we are very luck!!! The TA was 11.
    Thanks Danea

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by danea
    Yes we are very luck!!! The TA was 11.
    Do you mean (11) eleven drops? Test is in increments of 10.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

12. Back To Top    #12

I'll post a full set of test results today to make sure we are on the right track.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

Happy to report Danae's pool has turned the corner as of Sunday and is very clear now.

Numbers as of this a.m.

FC 16
    CC 0
    TC 16
    CYA 80
    PH less than 6.8
    TA 30

I went on my iphone pool calculator app and it said to add 18lbs of baking soda to get TA to 90 and 65 oz (albs) of Borax to get ph to 7.2 (I realize that may not be enough since PH isn't registering but thought it would be a start)

I wasn't sure if we should start with raising TA or PH first since I know the two are related.

Also, since the pool is clear, FC is holding can she let the level drop to non shock levels which would be between 6-11?
    Currently Pooless

14. Back To Top    #14

Why did the pH and TA drop so low? Usually those would have been adjusted before the shock process (unless you were using dichlor which crashed the pH).

The pH test reads artificially high when the FC > 10ppm, so that pH is likely way too low.

Adjust the TA up first, then when the FC gets below 10ppm, adjust the pH back up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

She started shocking before adjusting PH. I didn't realize that was the incorrect order to do things as I have never had to shock my pool. Both PH and TA have been low, they were low before the shock process.
    Currently Pooless