Pool is losing it's crisp blue color, any ideas?

Jul 25, 2012
Hi everyone! I have an inground pool (35,000 gallon), I believe it is gunite. The pool is blue and I am having some weird issues. It just doesn't seem to "POP" anymore! My daughter left a pair of goggles in the pool for 2 days and when I took them out, the floor underneath it was nice and bright beautiful blue. Also, when I vacuum you can see where worms were on the bottom and leafs because it is crisp blue under where something was. Any ideas? Is there a product I can use to bring it back to life? :hammer:

Hi Jason! It's not dirty, the pool is nice and clean, no dirt settling....but when a leaf lands in the pool (or goggles or anything for that matter) and settles to the bottom, if I don't get it right out when I finally do the floor underneath it is sparkling blue! I have an in floor Caretaker99 system that does a great job and I have an inline chlorinator.

That is my point ... the only way for the pool to be cleaner "sparkling blue" under an object is if there is dirt or something everywhere else ... right?

Maybe you have low level algae growth ... post test results.

Second shot in the dark - pollen.
I didn't realize MY pool was dirty at all until I got an m4 dolphin supreme that, after three uses, scrubbed off an entire layer of pollen. The first time I ran it was at night with the light on, and I was surprised that I could see its trail ;)

My pool has done that more than once and every time it was low level algae growth. I cleared it up by bringing the chlorine up to shock level for two or three days. You might try doing the overnight chlorine loss test to see if that indicates algae present. That does not always work for me, but shocking the pool clears it up every time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.