(Fairly) slow leak

akjung

Jun 7, 2013
I need help. We have a 15'x48" Intex metal frame pool. Last year was great, we were newbies, made some mistakes (not totally level), but all in all a great experience. Took the time to level out area, put in border stones, laid a bed of sand, got the pool out and up, and lo and behold, we apparently have a leak. Only got a couple of inches of water in the pool before we noticed a tiny bit of water pooling around the base of a leg, let it go until there was about a foot of water in pool, and now have water pooling around another leg (the two legs are next to each other), only about 2 cups of water at the most. Have been reading and contemplating...no water on pool walls, so I'm guessing it's on a seam or in the bottom. Advice? How hard is it to find a leak on the bottom? What about these "fix-a-leak" products?

akjung said:
I need help. We have a 15'x48" Intex metal frame pool. Last year was great, we were newbies, made some mistakes (not totally level), but all in all a great experience. Took the time to level out are, put in border stones, laid a bed of sand, got the pool out and up, and lo and behold, we apparently have a leak. Only got a couple of inches of water in the pool before we noticed a bit of water pooling around the base of a leg, let it go until there was about a foot of water in pool, and now have water pooling around another leg (the two legs are next to each other). Have been reading and contemplating...no water on pool walls, so I'm guessing it's on a seam or in the bottom. Advice? How hard is it to find a leak on the bottom? What about these "fix-a-leak" products?

The patches with the special glue do work, but you could be searching for a while. Our first Intex ( the blue with white frame) sprang three leaks in the second season after being moved across state lines. Fortunately they were all on one side and could be easily identified. Used a small patch on each one with some glue that works from the inside out under water.

(By the way, "Old Blue" has been retired in favor of the new Ultra Frame. Good luck.)

[quote="CeeElGee
The patches with the special glue do work, but you could be searching for a while. Our first Intex ( the blue with white frame) sprang three leaks in the second season after being moved across state lines. Fortunately they were all on one side and could be easily identified. Used a small patch on each one with some glue that works from the inside out under water.

(By the way, "Old Blue" has been retired in favor of the new Ultra Frame. Good luck.)[/quote]

CeeElGee, Thanks for the reply...I guess I'll spend the afternoon crawling around in a foot of water, looking for leaks...wish me luck!!

I know a guy who used duct tape to find the leak in his pool. He put duct tape down on the bottom of the pool in the suspected area until the leak stopped. He had cleared a small channel under the side of the pool so he could tell when it wasn't leaking. I stopped a leak in my pool last year with a peel off patch for an air mattress. It held all season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.