Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello, I'm new to TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello, I'm new to TFP

I am happy I found this site. I have owned a home pool for 25 years and I look forward to learning from everyone.
    John Rogers
    24 foot above ground, 13500 gallon, Hayward Power-Flo LX (70 GPM) with 1.5 HP Motor, 18 inch Pentair Sand Filter , Chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello, I'm new to TFP

Welcome
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

thank you,
    I have some initial questions, should I post them here or start a new post for each?
    John Rogers
    24 foot above ground, 13500 gallon, Hayward Power-Flo LX (70 GPM) with 1.5 HP Motor, 18 inch Pentair Sand Filter , Chlorine

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is fine.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

6. Back To Top    #6

For years when adding CYA to the pool I have always added it to the skimmer. Usually in 5 pound bags. It always stayed in the skimmer for a while and then dissolved. I was always told not to back wash for at least a week. While reading some of the posts on this site I read a neat trick of putting the CYA into a sock and putting it in the skimmer basket. I like this idea because it seems a little cleaner and CYA doesn't spill into the pool and doesn't clog up the skimmer.

1. Why can't the CYA be added directly to the pool. (Like dropping a sock into the pool)
    John Rogers

7. Back To Top    #7

Actually we usually recommend hanging the sock in front of the return jet in the pool ... then there are no concerns about backwashing.

You do not want to just set it in the pool as it is still acidic and could damage the surface.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hanging it in front of the pool return was going to be my next question....thank you for the prompt replies.
    John Rogers