Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ascorbic Acid/Sequestering agent question

1. Back To Top    #1

Ascorbic Acid/Sequestering agent question

I have an old iron stain on the bottom of my pool near the drain. I have put 5 lbs of ascorbic acid on this over the last few days, but it is struggling to lift it. It has faded and there are streaks in the stain. Do I wait to put in the sequestering agent until the stain is completely gone or go ahead and put it in now so it doesn't reset the stain?
    25K Gallon 33" Round Vinyl Aboveground
    Hayward Sand Filter with 2HP Waterway Pump; Aqua Rite Salt Generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ascorbic Acid/Sequestering agent question

You can go ahead and add the metal sequestrant as it might help with the stain as well. It shouldn't interfere with the ascorbic acid process.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool has clouded up and I am trying to slowly bring up the chlorine. How long do I need to keep the pump on 24/7? It's been running non stop since I started the process on Thursday.
    25K Gallon 33" Round Vinyl Aboveground
    Hayward Sand Filter with 2HP Waterway Pump; Aqua Rite Salt Generator

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you use Polyquat 60 during the process to prevent algae growth? I'd keep the filter running 24/7 so long as the water is cloudy since filtration should help to clear it. If you didn't use Polyquat, then the cloudiness could be early algae growth in which case getting the chlorine up will help with that.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"