When i add chlorine to my 18x48 pool it turns green

Jun 7, 2013
ok im having trouble when i add chlorine to my 18x48 pool it turns green. i have been using iron out from walmart to turn it back clear it works perfectly but when i add this it take out all my chlorine. so im at clear water no chlorine or green water with everything testing normal levels. i have well water by the way and my pool has been up for a month now just green everytime i add chlorine so frustrated

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Are you talking about Super Iron Out? That's a household product, not for swimming pools. The product is designed to remove an iron stain (using citric acid), but not to sequester the iron in water to prevent it from re-staining. They expect you to rinse away the product and water away from the stain. Again, this is not for use in swimming pools.

You should be using an HEDP-based metal sequestrant as described in the Pool School article Metals in the Water and Metal Stains. If you don't have existing stains, then you can skip the ascorbic acid treatment and just add one of the HEDP-based metal sequestrant products recommended.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.