AG Pool Opening

Aug 11, 2010
Hi,
We've been using the BBB method a few years now :-D , but we always seem to need some help at opening. First, our pool was a mess when we closed it :oops: and surprise, surprise, it was a bigger mess when we opened it on Sunday with lots of leaves and a very dirty bottom. We raised the water level back up, raked out as much of the debris as possible and vacuumed to waste the pool bottom. Our initial readings were as follows:
FC=0
PH=7.0
TA=90
CH=190
CYA=0 Not registering on test

We started running the pump full-time on Sunday and on Monday, we added 2 lbs of stabilizer to raise the CYA up to 30, 1 gal of 10% bleach to shock it and 4 oz of algecide. Didn't try to raise the PH yet. Since Monday, I've been trying to maintain the FC at 6. :whip: The water went from green to white to blue but is still cloudy, though it seems to be improving. Yesterday, the FC level had only lost .5 over a 7-hour period and lost 1.5 between 6 PM yesterday and 9 AM today.

My questions are ...
Do I need to go back and maintain the FC at shock level until it passes the overnight test or just keep maintaining the FC at 6 like I'm doing now? Is anything else we need to do?

Thank you so much!
Cecilia

What is your CC?

smittysgirl said:
Do I need to go back and maintain the FC at shock level until it passes the overnight test or just keep maintaining the FC at 6 like I'm doing now?
Yes, passes OCLT, CC<0.5, and water is crystal clear.

smittysgirl said:
Is anything else we need to do?
Stop using the algaecide. We generally don't recommend it for pool cleanups (or maintenance) here. Once you have algae, chlorine is much more effective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.