Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I live with a TA of around 150?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I live with a TA of around 150?

PH is currently 7.6. I understand that to lower TA I need to lower PH, however our fill water comes from a limestone water table, so I think I will be constantly increasing TA with every backwash and top up. Should I be constantly adding acid to get the TA down or can I just accept and live with it. I reckon the PH is going to keep going up, so I will have to add some acid anyway to keep it down to the recommended levels.
    400,000 Litre in ground infinity pool, with 40,000 litre holding tank (116 235.703 04 gallon). Vinyl liner.
    Two Astralpool Cantabric sand filters, 900mm diameter, each with 550kg of sand.
    Two ESI MP6 1.5kw 3 phase pumps.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I live with a TA of around 150?

Accept it and just keep the pH in range. The TA may drop some, but it is not critical to try to get lower if the fill water is high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK thanks. Calcium hardness is way up too, presumably for the same reason. Guess I will just have to live with that too.
    400,000 Litre in ground infinity pool, with 40,000 litre holding tank (116 235.703 04 gallon). Vinyl liner.

4. Back To Top    #4

How high is CH?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

5. Back To Top    #5

around 500

6. Back To Top    #6

That is livable. You just need to keep closer tabs on the pH to prevent calcium scaling.

Only way to lower the CH is through water replacement with lower CH water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

7. Back To Top    #7

No. Your skin will peel off and you'll die a slow, agonizing death.

Just kidding!

You have it figured. Maintain pH and TA will slowly come down. Keep tabs on things and if CSI starts to climb, then you might have to take aggressive action to lower TA. Instructions are in Pool School.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

OK thanks, check the PH pretty much daily anyway, so just keep introducing acid to keep the PH within range?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, just keep adding acid to keep the pH in range.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"