What am I doing wrong ....FC dropping

Mar 4, 2013
I have been going through the shock process all week because I have been using so much chlorine. I'm now on day 4 and I lost 4ppm last night. I started the night with FC of 23 and now I'm 18. My CC has never been anything but 0 and my pool has been crystal clear ever since I started the BBB method in the beginning of the spring. I'm was using about 1 gallon of 12% bleach from SAMs a day so I decided to do the shock process because I thought I was using to much bleach. My CYA is between 40-50 but my pool is in direct sunlight with a water temp of about 90, should I have a higher cya?

Also my ph has always been perfect between 7.4-7.6. I just use lots of chlorine.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, see article in Pool School. You actually almost did it correctly.

You need to continue to maintain the shock level FC until you pass the 3 criteria to stop ... one of which is the OCLT.

Nothing. You're doing things right.

I know it would be more satisfying if your pool had started green and had some kind of visual improvement to show you're making progress, but it is what it is. There are several others in the same boat as you posting here right now.

I think it's almost 9 for 3 gallons of bleach. At this rate I may need to go buy a pallet.

I will keep at it, I was just beginning to wonder if that's a myth that you drop less than 1 ppm a night.

That sounds like the regular concentrated Clorox. It's 8.25% and not a full gallon at 121oz. Check the bottles and adjust your numbers on the pool calculator.

1ppm or less chlorine loss at night is the goal. If it's more then you need to shock. You will get there soon if you follow these guidelines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.