I think I tested wrong the first couple of times.
After posting and getting such quick responses yesterday, I was off to get started adding the recommended amounts of bleach etc. I added some baking soda and then got nervous as the water turned a little bit cloudy. I kept thinking that there was just something not quite right with my test results, and if I was wrong I'd really screw up the water. So I grabbed some water (that I was testing with before the baking soda addition) to take to the pool store just to see what they came up with. They were not really willing to give out the numbers other than "chlorine", so after some straining I gathered these from their computer screen.
I tested again throughout the day and think I have it right except for the CYA (having trouble there).
My results (consistent throughout the day 4-5 hours apart)
And now my questions.
1. I see no color at all doing the chlorine test, so can you proceed further with that?
2. How do you perform the CYA test? I'm reading the instructions...but it's not happening for me. The tube was filled to the top and I still saw the black dot. What am I doing wrong here? I know I must have missed something somewhere.
3. If the pool store was correct, does a 10lb bag of baking soda raise the TA to 100? I'm pretty sure I got that test right, and it has held the same results all yesterday afternoon through today.
4. On the TA test, my 9th drop produced the big color change to a dark reddish purple but the 10th made it completely red. Should my final answer be 90 or 100?
5. Since the pH has come up, should I start adding bleach?
6. Why did the water turn cloudy?
We have brushed, vacuumed, and are running the filter 24/7.
I apologize for the lengthy post.