Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae and other help....

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae and other help....

We have some unusual brown spots on our pool. I would think it was algae it isn't slimey and it doesn't brush off. Here are my numbers - the FCC is low because we didn't put any chlorine in it last night because it was storming.

Ph 8.0
    FCC 1.5
    TA 150
    CH 175
    CYA less than 30

I don't know what to attach first!

thank you for any help!
    35000 gal; colored plaster; DE; hayward pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae and other help....

pH first. It should only take an hour or less to mix well and then you can raise FC.

CYA can be adjusted all the while, as it takes a few days to dissolve. It gets tied up in a sock or nylon stocking and suspended in front of a return or dangled off some kind of float like an empty bleach bottle or a pool noodle. Don't just pour it in the skimmer. If you need to backwash, you'll lose it.

As for the stain, post a picture.

[center:3j5judum][/center:3j5judum]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Green pool turned blue but now in trouble

Mod alert: Please keep your posts about same subject in one thread...thanks

We have a mesh cover that we use to protect our pool from the spring live oak 'droppings.' It was a swamp when we pulled it off last month. After weeks of pool school help and a lot of cleaning of the filter, the pool is clear. BUT now we have some brown patches. I would think it was algae but it isn't slimey and it doesn't rub off. I add 128 oz of 8% bleach each night and and about of quart of muratic acid every two days to low the PH. I know we aren't doing it 'right' yet. Here are my numbers. My FCC is low because we had a storm last night and I didn't add chlorine.

What should we focus on???

Ph 8.0
    FCC 1.5
    TA 150
    CH 175
    CYA less than 30

4. Back To Top    #4

I add 128 oz of 8% bleach each night and and about of quart of muratic acid every two days to low the PH. I know we aren't doing it 'right' yet. Should I be worried about the TA or the CH?

Ph 8.0
    FCC 1.5
    TA 150
    CH 175
    CYA less than 30
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Green pool turned blue but now in trouble

What is your CC?

I would bring the ph down to 7.2 then start the shocking process, and do the Overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) to see where you are.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

what's cc?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by 2 days the day
    what's cc?
    Combined Chloramines. That's like halfway used up chlorine. pool-school/swimming_pool_definitions_abbreviations

The blue-grey tint and the olive green patch all point to algae. The CC test will help confirm it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!