PLEASE HELP ME....FEEL LIKE PULLING OUT MY HAIR

Jun 2, 2013
I have never owned a pool before and this has been a little overwhelming so I really need some help...

Put pool up this past weekend and it was full by Sunday night. Didn't get my test kit (Taylor K-2006) until Tuesday but we just added regular bleach 8.25% Sunday and Monday evening. When I went to pool company to get my testing kit I also purchased some liquid shock (12.5%). These are my numbers for the last couple of days:

Tue Night
FC: 1.4
CC: 0
PH: 8.0
TA: 160
CH: 10
CYA: 0
I added 2 cups of bleach, that's it.

Wed Morning - got water tested at pool company
FC: 0.4
CC: 0.2
PH: 8
TA: 170
CH: 20
Phosphates: 1,000

Wed Afternoon
FC: 0
PH: 8
TA: 140
CH: 20
I added 1lb of Easy Acid, 2 qts of Instant Conditioner, 32 oz of Liquid shock, 10 lbs of calcium chloride

Thurs Morning
FC: 2
CC: 0.4
PH: 7.6
TA: 160
CH: 200
CYA: 40

Thurs Night - been cloudy and rainy
FC: 2
CC: 0
PH: 7.8
TA: 200
CA: 200
CYA: 45

I know I will need to add some bleach but I'm so confused about the TA?? Why is it so high??
ALSO, we are supposed to get a tropical storm tomorrow with alot of rain... how can I prepare for this from a chemical standpoint? or should I treat once everything is over?
Does anyone use Easy Acid? Should I?
If I need to use borax how should I add that to pool? It doesn't seem to dissolve very well and I'm afraid it is going to stay on bottom?

I know that this is alot of info but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. FYI - the pool has been crystal clear through all this; no green or cloudiness...

Thanks for the help

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:
Congrats on getting one of the recommended kits before we had to hound you to do so :goodjob:

Did you test the TA of your fill water? It must just be high.

Most use muriatic acid to lower the pH (not sure what Easy Acid is).
Borax raises pH, you do not need to do that, so why worry?

You need to start maintaining high FC levels now that your CYA seems to be in the recommended range ... 4ppm is your minimum, never let it drop lower, amount: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

The TA probably didn't climb. It's a static electricity phenomenon on R-009. Just wipe the tip off with a damp towel between drops for a day or two. Read about it in extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Easy acid -- is that a bucket of powder? It's okay to use if it is. Just generally pricier than muriatic acid. Pool Calculator calls it dry acid. You don't need Borax, that raises pH.

Aside from lowering pH in anticipation of the aeration caused by the rain and the chlorine you plan to add, I see no reason to panic and rip out hair. It will keep hair out of the skimmers, though.

jblizzle - Thanks. I knew that testing was really important so I made sure I ordered my kit ASAP and no I did not test my fill water. It just seems that every test it is high. I was asking about the borax because I know from trying to use this previously (not for a pool) that it does not dissolve and was wondering what to do just in case..I looked at the CYA/Chlorine chart and have added the appropriate amount of liquid bleach tonight so hopefully this will continue to rise.

Richard320 - Thank you for telling me about that test. I've never heard about that but will definitely do that to see if that helps.

I got the Easy Acid from the pool store. 1lb bag and it claims to lower TA strongly and lowers PH moderately, 100 % sodium hydrogen sulfate. It states that 2 1/3 bags (38 oz) is equal to one gallon of liquid acid. What do you think?

Also, I do have 1 more question. Have any of you used AquaChem Shock Xtra Blue?? Just wondering as another local pool guy told me to use this x 1 week and just put 4-1" chlorine tabs in skimmer and that's all I would ever have to do...Doesn't seem right to me!!!

That acid is fine to use. Just plug your numbers into pool calculator and use the dosage for dry acid.

Don't use that AquaChem Shock Xtra Blue!! According to the MSDS it has copper in it.
Unless you like this look:

Cesar-Romero-Joker-Batman.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.