Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PLEASE HELP ME....FEEL LIKE PULLING OUT MY HAIR

1. Back To Top    #1

PLEASE HELP ME....FEEL LIKE PULLING OUT MY HAIR

I have never owned a pool before and this has been a little overwhelming so I really need some help...

Put pool up this past weekend and it was full by Sunday night. Didn't get my test kit (Taylor K-2006) until Tuesday but we just added regular bleach 8.25% Sunday and Monday evening. When I went to pool company to get my testing kit I also purchased some liquid shock (12.5%). These are my numbers for the last couple of days:

Tue Night
    FC: 1.4
    CC: 0
    PH: 8.0
    TA: 160
    CH: 10
    CYA: 0
    I added 2 cups of bleach, that's it.

Wed Morning - got water tested at pool company
    FC: 0.4
    CC: 0.2
    PH: 8
    TA: 170
    CH: 20
    Phosphates: 1,000

Wed Afternoon
    FC: 0
    PH: 8
    TA: 140
    CH: 20
    I added 1lb of Easy Acid, 2 qts of Instant Conditioner, 32 oz of Liquid shock, 10 lbs of calcium chloride

Thurs Morning
    FC: 2
    CC: 0.4
    PH: 7.6
    TA: 160
    CH: 200
    CYA: 40

Thurs Night - been cloudy and rainy
    FC: 2
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 200
    CA: 200
    CYA: 45

I know I will need to add some bleach but I'm so confused about the TA?? Why is it so high??
    ALSO, we are supposed to get a tropical storm tomorrow with alot of rain... how can I prepare for this from a chemical standpoint? or should I treat once everything is over?
    Does anyone use Easy Acid? Should I?
    If I need to use borax how should I add that to pool? It doesn't seem to dissolve very well and I'm afraid it is going to stay on bottom?

I know that this is alot of info but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. FYI - the pool has been crystal clear through all this; no green or cloudiness...

Thanks for the help
    Intex Ultra Frame 18x48, AG, 6,423 gallons, vinyl, Intex 635T cartridge filter pump - 1500 gph, No SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PLEASE HELP ME....FEEL LIKE PULLING OUT MY HAIR

Welcome to TFP!!!
    Congrats on getting one of the recommended kits before we had to hound you to do so

Did you test the TA of your fill water? It must just be high.

Most use muriatic acid to lower the pH (not sure what Easy Acid is).
    Borax raises pH, you do not need to do that, so why worry?

You need to start maintaining high FC levels now that your CYA seems to be in the recommended range ... 4ppm is your minimum, never let it drop lower, amount: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The TA probably didn't climb. It's a static electricity phenomenon on R-009. Just wipe the tip off with a damp towel between drops for a day or two. Read about it in extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Easy acid -- is that a bucket of powder? It's okay to use if it is. Just generally pricier than muriatic acid. Pool Calculator calls it dry acid. You don't need Borax, that raises pH.

Aside from lowering pH in anticipation of the aeration caused by the rain and the chlorine you plan to add, I see no reason to panic and rip out hair. It will keep hair out of the skimmers, though.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

jblizzle - Thanks. I knew that testing was really important so I made sure I ordered my kit ASAP and no I did not test my fill water. It just seems that every test it is high. I was asking about the borax because I know from trying to use this previously (not for a pool) that it does not dissolve and was wondering what to do just in case..I looked at the CYA/Chlorine chart and have added the appropriate amount of liquid bleach tonight so hopefully this will continue to rise.

Richard320 - Thank you for telling me about that test. I've never heard about that but will definitely do that to see if that helps.

I got the Easy Acid from the pool store. 1lb bag and it claims to lower TA strongly and lowers PH moderately, 100 % sodium hydrogen sulfate. It states that 2 1/3 bags (38 oz) is equal to one gallon of liquid acid. What do you think?

Also, I do have 1 more question. Have any of you used AquaChem Shock Xtra Blue?? Just wondering as another local pool guy told me to use this x 1 week and just put 4-1" chlorine tabs in skimmer and that's all I would ever have to do...Doesn't seem right to me!!!
    Intex Ultra Frame 18x48, AG, 6,423 gallons, vinyl, Intex 635T cartridge filter pump - 1500 gph, No SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

That acid is fine to use. Just plug your numbers into pool calculator and use the dosage for dry acid.

Don't use that AquaChem Shock Xtra Blue!! According to the MSDS it has copper in it.
    Unless you like this look:

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!