Wiring in a GFIC breaker for new pool pump

Hawk

Aug 9, 2011
Southern California
Thought I better confirm something before I proceed. I just installed a new Intelliflo VF which is 220v (replaced a Whisperflow 220v). I am also upgrading to a new gfci 2 pole breaker. I know the green ground runs from the pump to the ground bus bar in the Easytouch. The two load wires from the pump run to the two load terminals on the new gfic breaker. The white pigtail running from the gfic then is connected to the neutral bar. My question is since there no (white) neutral wire from the pump, then the load neutral terminal on the gfic breaker is not used. Does that sound correct? If so, will this breaker still "trip" if it senses as it's supposed to?
I have the exact same setup for the Minimax 400 heater, so I will be duplicating the same wiring to it's own individual gfic breaker.

Thanks.

This is the gfic: Siemens QF220 Circuit Breaker 20A 2P 120/240V 10K QPF GFCI 5MA

B590959_01.jpg

I was curious about this as well ... I guess I can not picture how these work (may have to go research it for myself).

EDIT: Interesting. So on the 230V breakers the GFCI is sensing a current difference between the 2 Lines supplying the pump. In 115V breakers it is sensing the current difference between the supplied Line and the returning amps on the neutral.

scooperhsd said:
I would advise connecting up the neutral anyway.

The point is there is no neutral line typically run for a dedicated 230V circuit ... like to a pump ... so there is no wire to hook up.
If the circuit runs to a subpanel, then there would be a neutral line in addition to the 2 Lines and the ground.

They put the neutral (curly wht wire on gfci breaker) because lets say you are wiring a hot tub and it has a light that is 120v. So you need to pull a neutral for the 120v. The controls might be low volt also (120v)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.