Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wiring in a GFIC breaker for new pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Wiring in a GFIC breaker for new pool pump

Thought I better confirm something before I proceed. I just installed a new Intelliflo VF which is 220v (replaced a Whisperflow 220v). I am also upgrading to a new gfci 2 pole breaker. I know the green ground runs from the pump to the ground bus bar in the Easytouch. The two load wires from the pump run to the two load terminals on the new gfic breaker. The white pigtail running from the gfic then is connected to the neutral bar. My question is since there no (white) neutral wire from the pump, then the load neutral terminal on the gfic breaker is not used. Does that sound correct? If so, will this breaker still "trip" if it senses as it's supposed to?
    I have the exact same setup for the Minimax 400 heater, so I will be duplicating the same wiring to it's own individual gfic breaker.

Thanks.

This is the gfic: Siemens QF220 Circuit Breaker 20A 2P 120/240V 10K QPF GFCI 5MA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Wiring in a GFIC breaker for new pool pump

That is correct. Since it's a simple 240 volt system you just won't have the load neutral hooked up and it will still trip upon sensing an imbalance.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bama.

I did search the site first, but didn't find anything specific to that. Never hurts to ask for help, especially if you're not sure.

4. Back To Top    #4

I was curious about this as well ... I guess I can not picture how these work (may have to go research it for myself).

EDIT: Interesting. So on the 230V breakers the GFCI is sensing a current difference between the 2 Lines supplying the pump. In 115V breakers it is sensing the current difference between the supplied Line and the returning amps on the neutral.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I would advise connecting up the neutral anyway.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by scooperhsd
    I would advise connecting up the neutral anyway.
    The point is there is no neutral line typically run for a dedicated 230V circuit ... like to a pump ... so there is no wire to hook up.
    If the circuit runs to a subpanel, then there would be a neutral line in addition to the 2 Lines and the ground.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

They put the neutral (curly wht wire on gfci breaker) because lets say you are wiring a hot tub and it has a light that is 120v. So you need to pull a neutral for the 120v. The controls might be low volt also (120v)
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner