No Chlorine

Jun 6, 2013
Hi All, 1st time posting :-D
We opened up our pool a few days ago and put 3 gal. of liquid shock and added (6) 3" chlorine jumbo tablets in the chlorinator; no FC reading. Our pool water is crystal clear. The next day we added 2 lbs of granular shock through the skimmer and still no chlorine reading using our test strips. On day 3 we took for a reading at the pool store & was advised to add another 2 lbs of granular shock; still no chlorine reading. We have a 15,000 Gal (24' Round) AG pool (Vinyl), sand filter, using a 1.5 HP Waterway motor. Out of curiosity I tested the water coming out of the backwash and had a very high chlorine reading on the test strip. However when I test the pool water, I get nothing :cry: Would also like to mention that the pool is in direct sunlight.
Here are the results from the pool store:
FC = 0.14 ppm
PH = 7.5
TA = 113 ppm
CH = 170 ppm
CYA = 48 ppm

Can someone please help me get a chlorine reading in this pool?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Test strips are just not worth the paper they are on (your chlorine may be so high it is bleaching out the strip). And pool store testing is worth what you pay for it (likely the DPD test they use could be bleached out as well).

OR ... you may actually have something in the water that is consuming all the chlorine.

If you truly want to take control, you will need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits that will definitely tell you what is going on in the water.

Please stop using powdered chlorine and pucks as they are adding more CYA and you are already at the top of the recommended levels.

Lots of information to learn by reading Pool School (button at the upper right of the page).

nochlor said:
Hi All, 1st time posting :-D
We opened up our pool a few days ago and put 3 gal. of liquid shock and added (6) 3" chlorine jumbo tablets in the chlorinator; no FC reading. Our pool water is crystal clear. The next day we added 2 lbs of granular shock through the skimmer and still no chlorine reading using our test strips. On day 3 we took for a reading at the pool store & was advised to add another 2 lbs of granular shock; still no chlorine reading. We have a 15,000 Gal (24' Round) AG pool (Vinyl), sand filter, using a 1.5 HP Waterway motor. Out of curiosity I tested the water coming out of the backwash and had a very high chlorine reading on the test strip. However when I test the pool water, I get nothing :cry: Would also like to mention that the pool is in direct sunlight.
Here are the results from the pool store:
FC = 0.14 ppm
PH = 7.5
TA = 113 ppm
CH = 170 ppm
CYA = 48 ppm

Can someone please help me get a chlorine reading in this pool?
Welcome! :wave:

You're not the first person with these problems. It is impossible for you to get a good reading and the pool store not to...except that pool store testing is often bad. Hang around here a while and you'll see plenty of examples. Test strips are not really any better.

That said, you're in too big a hurry. You only joined an hour ago. There's no way you could have even read and absorbed the first page of Pool School yet, let alone the articles on the shock process and test kits compared. Both of which you'll need to read and understand if you're ever going to tame this thing.

Besides Pool School, check out these threads

Once you understand the terms we'll be throwing at you, if there's still something you don't understand, ask away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.