Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sudden Cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Sudden Cloudy Water

I was testing my new PVC fountain to see if I could cool the water overnight and came home to a cloudy pool. Tested my water and got this:
    FC 2
    Ph 7.5
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CYA 70

I added chlorine to get to FC 8. Any ideas what happened? Filter issue maybe? Thought I would ask before taking the filter apart
    14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sudden Cloudy Water

I'm by no means a pro, but it sounds like the start of an algae bloom. FC looks to be a bit low for that CYA level. Let's see what the real pros have to say.
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by thabeezer
    FC 2
    Ph 7.5
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CYA 70
    The root cause for the cloudy pool is likely not your filter but the low FC of 2 for a CYA of 70. The cloudiness you are seeing is very likely algae assembling in preparation for a blooming party. At a CYA of 70, you want to keep FC between 5 and 10 ppm at all times. Would suggest doing a partial drain & refill of about 30-40% to get your CYA down to between 40 -50 ppm. This will require less chlorine for shocking and ongoing maintenance. After refilling, then run a series of tests to determine your new CYA and whether you need to go through the Shock Process (likely).
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree, the FC got too low, so something may have taken root. Your FC should never be below 5ppm. And now you should raise it up to shock level (28ppm) and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there really is something in the water.

If you pass and the water is still cloudy, then you can start to suspect the filter
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll bet if you check the CC reading it will be high. Get it up to shock level before it goes green.

[center:1audfwrt][youtube:1audfwrt]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:1audfwrt][/center:1audfwrt]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by samiguy
    I'm by no means a pro, but it sounds like the start of an algae bloom. FC looks to be a bit low for that CYA level. Let's see what the real pros have to say.
    Looks like everybody is saying the same thing you said

I agree with you, too
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

7. Back To Top    #7

Shocking shall commence when this rain passes

8. Back To Top    #8

(Don't know your location/weather) Unless it's a deluge-can't-go-outside rain, go ahead and shock
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    (Don't know your location/weather) Unless it's a deluge-can't-go-outside rain, go ahead and shock
    In Houston, TX..bad hail and thunder rolling through

10. Back To Top    #10

What is your main source of chlorine?

11. Back To Top    #11

Bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

should be easy to get the FC level up easily. Just use pool calc and follow closely. Going to take a bit to get to shock level and keep it there, but should stop/kill any organic from exploding. Keep in touch!!!!!

13. Back To Top    #13

Water is looking much better this morning

14. Back To Top    #14

I've been thinking about this a little bit. I have been using BBB for 2 years and never had a single problem. I test my water on Tuesday and Friday during swim season which has already started. I was in the pool the day before it turned cloudy and it was clear.

Is it possible that my aerator did something to the water for the algae bloom to get started? This is the most rain we have had since I have had the pool could that contribute to it?

15. Back To Top    #15

Is it possible that my aerator did something to the water for the algae bloom to get started? This is the most rain we have had since I have had the pool could that contribute to it?
    I doubt it. I think this is the culprit:
    I test my water on Tuesday and Friday during swim season which has already started. I was in the pool the day before it turned cloudy and it was clear
    Daily testing is recommended. Twice weekly, esp during swim season, is a real long shot.

16. Back To Top    #16

I think that 1) your low FC/CYA ratio meant you were on the edge of algae growth in the pool and 2) testing the PVC fountain put things over the edge possibly due to algae in the PVC pipe that got flushed into the pool further lowering the chlorine level and allowing the algae to grow faster than chlorine could kill it.

I only test and add chlorine twice a week in my pool, but that's because I have a mostly opaque safety cover and therefore have a low 1 ppm FC per day chlorine usage even with the pool used every day. Without such a cover and with 2 ppm FC or more daily chlorine usage, I would think that one couldn't go more than a couple of days without adding more chlorine. If usage is very stable, then one might test less frequently though there's always the risk that something happens and you don't know about it because you skipped a test.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

17. Back To Top    #17

Never thought about something possibly being in the PVC.

Testing everyday is overkill on my pool. I tested everyday when I first started to use BBB but have a good gauge on my chlorine usage.