DE - Common Name

DE stands for Diatomaceous Earth. DE is actually the common name for this product. Around here, I've seen it at Home Depot, Walmart, and pool stores. Just make sure you get a product labeled for use in pool filters.

Lowes also sells it around here in their pool section around $20 for a 24 pound box, I just bought some. Note pool DE and garden DE are processed differently, Pool DE is an inhalation hazard like silica dust, but garden DE is much lower hazard as it is heat treated and partly melted around the edges of the particles.

I have been using it for the past 2 days and it works well, my dosage is about 2 cups and I end up having to backwash every 4 or 5 hrs. The dirty water that comes out is amazing. At the same time you can see the pool move from green to blue. I got mine at a pool store for $15 / 10 lbs.

You won't use much. At night I cut down to 1 cup so I don't worry about building up pressure due to not being able to back wash.

I'm on my 3 rd day and my water is now Gin clear from using DE. Of course the DE that went through the back wash cycle is now in my yard. LOL

But it was well worth it. I quit using it now and will rely on my sand filter.

Another thing I noticed is if you turn your light on at night with the pump running you can see the little dirt particals in the water and that's a good reference on how your DE is doing.

No particals, stop using DE.

You will also note DE comming back into the pool through the returns. No big deal, it settles to the bottom and you vacuum them up and get to use them again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.