Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine control

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine control

How frequently should I expect to add liquid chlorine? I get the chlorine in spec and have a chlorine feeder (I use bromine tablets), but in 2-3 days the chlorine level is zero.
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 300 sq ft cartridge filter (STA-RITE System 3 Model S7M120)
    Hayward Max-Flo XL 1.0 HP pump, Heat Siphon Heat Pump 3.25HP
    Hayward Auto Chlorine Feeder (Model CL-200), Baracuda Pool Cleaner,
    Pool Installed 1998

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine control

Once I get my pool dialed in, I add CL once per day.

If you are using BR or CL tabs, what is your CYA (stabilizer) number?

What are you using for a test kit?
    If you are using your LPS (local pool store) what chemicals are they using to test your water?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

So do you have a bromine pool or a chlorine pool? Generally you do not mix them.

Normally liquid chlorine should be added every day as it is consumed by the sun and any organics in the water.

This thread has some info:
    switch-to-bbb-from-bromine-t61763.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm a new home/pool owner and I have an OTO test kit from the previous owner. It measures chlorine and bromine levels, and pH. He used bromine tablets in the feeder, so I continued that process. The stabilizer level was 30 a couple days ago when I had a water sample tested at the LPS. I know I need a better test kit to test and monitor the pool water. I plan on buying one of the kits recommended by troublefreepool.com.
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 300 sq ft cartridge filter (STA-RITE System 3 Model S7M120)
    Hayward Max-Flo XL 1.0 HP pump, Heat Siphon Heat Pump 3.25HP
    Hayward Auto Chlorine Feeder (Model CL-200), Baracuda Pool Cleaner,
    Pool Installed 1998

5. Back To Top    #5

Honestly, I am not sure what to tell you since you are using bromine (I have no experience with it). Most members here use chlorine exclusively, but there are a few people that should know how to get you straightened out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!