Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentahydrateed copper sulfate

1. Back To Top    #1

Up in the mountain, Laurentides, Quebec, CANADA

Pentahydrateed copper sulfate

Just bought a house with a 18x36 pool and trying to start it for the first time.

Here in Quebec, Canada, it seems pentahydrated copper sulfate is becoming popular (see: http://www.crystallineh2o.com/EN/index.php). I saw here some advices against copper sulfate, but nothing about the pentahydrated one.
    here is a list of pools using pentahydrated copper sulfate. It made me buy a bottle of this product.
    http://www.crystallineh2o.com/EN/clients_satisfaits.php

That was before I found this forum.

Now I figured out I may not need this product and only buy bleach and baking soda with a good test kit (just ordered taylor k-2006C). Anyway I already started using crist. H2O so I may use up the bottle before switching to BBB method.

So far what's happening with my pool in the first week of opening is that I opened it the cristalline H2O way: put a bit of the product with some chlorine in powder form. did also a shock treatment with a bottle of shock powder (sock it HTH). Ph was a little high, so I added a bit of ph minus.

Result is that my water is perfectly clear. Ph is perfect (7.4) total hardness too (250) alkalinity is a little low (45 or 50). Tested with paper strip so I still don't know the CYA level.

The only problem is that my chlorine seems to disapear really fast. Cristalline H2O instruction tells me to maintain chlorine level at 1.5 the first week and then lower it to 0.8ppm at all time. But now when I put chlorine at night, a few hour later it is at 4. The next morning it's still at 4, but around noon it's already zero even if there is no sun... I also noticed some grey deposit at the bottom of my pool. I then wait in the evening to add chlorine everyday with the same results. The water is still perfectly clear at all time though.

Can't wait to receive my k-2006 to test for CYA. Maybe it's the culprit.
    24.5k gallons, IG, vinyl, 24 inches sand filter hydropro 063030 sf, hayward pump 1,5 hp c48m2n111b4q

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentahydrateed copper sulfate

We never recommend using any product containing copper in any form. At levels high enough to have any effect copper is very very close to causing stains that are unsightly and difficult (or sometimes impossible) to remove.

You didn't mention adding anything that includes CYA. Without CYA in the water you will lose all of your chlorine to sunlight each sunny day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

ok. The previous owner used calcium hypo which I thought added cya to the pool... But now I know it just adds calcium.

I forgot to mention I added also 2 pucks of stabilised chlorine (trichloro) (which should add cya) in a floater but they don't seem to dissolve. maybe it's too cold. only 10 celcius today..
    24.5k gallons, IG, vinyl, 24 inches sand filter hydropro 063030 sf, hayward pump 1,5 hp c48m2n111b4q

4. Back To Top    #4

As shown by the product in the PAN Database, it is copper sulfate pentahydrate. Most copper sulfate is in fact pentahydrate which just means it has some water as part of the chemical compound. It still becomes copper ions in your pool and those can stain pool surfaces and is not necessary since proper FC/CYA levels can prevent algae from growing.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I should have come here first before buying any product. Now I went to my grocery store and bought 10,5% 5 liter bleach bottles (with instruction for pool maintenance on it) and 1kg boxes of baking soda (arm and hammer now have a section about pool maintenance on their website (http://www.armandhammer.com/solution...Pool-Care.aspx) and they created a new product (with secret ingredients) to help get a clear pool (http://www.armandhammer.com/deodoriz...e-tablets.aspx) (just started another thread to ask about this product: http://www.troublefreepool.com/arm-a...ce-t62135.html).